No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sulphide Paperweight info needed  (Read 11214 times)

Offline The Glass Staircase

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scotland
Sulphide Paperweight info needed
« on: March 06, 2018, 05:37:20 PM »
Hi all,

I got this magnum sulphide paperweight today and I was just wondering if anyone could help me with where it was made and/or possibly its age. The glass has strong purple tint which looks like alexandrite glass but it glows bright green under a uv torch and it has a partially polished concave pontil mark on base with substantial wear making me thinking its from early 20th century at least.

It measures 3.5 inches diameter and 2.5 inches high (approx)

Any help greatly appreciated TIA

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Sulphide Paperweight info needed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »
Hmm.

I cannot say for sure, but it might be by Salvador Ysart and made in the 1930s (or a bit earlier). But it might be something else entirely. Could it be from continental Europe? It might be! Does anyone know of examples with the purple tint?

Is it a "Paul Ysart sulphide"? No, it is not like the ones Paul Ysart made himself using metal brooches etc, to form a mould.

I will not add further comments right now, because a full analysis of the various features could become quite complex and needs to be considered very carefully.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:38:52 AM »
Hi Kevin, 

Thank you for your reply. Yes I did consider both Europe and Ysart but was leaning more towards the former than latter.

I will wait and see if any one else will chime in with any suggestions.

Thanks again!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:41:28 AM »
I understood this weight was made by Salvador Ysart, not as strong a purple tint though.

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »
The chappie doesn't look very British to my eyes...

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »
John's weight is indeed by Salvador Ysart. See my example of a roundels pattern on the same white and green striped powdered ground.

As with John's, mine appears tinted (in some light conditions) but not as obvious and strong as the Op's weight. I do have a couple of Ysart weights with a stronger purple tint but again not to the degree of the Op's.

I agree with Christine's comment about the "chappie". It is known that Salavdor Ysart had some sulphides from the former Scottish John Ford company. I have seen several examples of a Robbie Burns sulphide in Ysart / Vasart weights and one example of "a lady". The Op's sulphide seems to differ in its general appearance. And together with the degree of the tint, these are two points that make me hesitant about my "Ysart possibility". However, the colours of the chips in the ground of the sulphide weight are very similar to what can be found in some Ysart items.

How about the bubbles? I have not seen an Ysart weight in the "harlequin" (bubbled over chips) pattern that also has a sulphide. But there might be some. Normally, Ysart weights have either six or eight bubbles - and four in a few early "layered" items by Paul. So the sulphide weight with six bubbles cannot be ruled out as "Ysart". The way that the colours have been "pulled" into a sort of loop and looking like a "six-armed starfish" from the top view, is not something I have seen in Ysart work (so far).

What about the base finish. The more I look at it, the more I think it is "too heavy looking" to be Ysart. Salvador's hovering butterfly weights, and also his "upright flower" weights are often large but the bases usually do not show the features seen in the Op's weight.

And the general look of the "clear" dome? It seems to be heavily striated in a way that is "rougher" than striations I have seen in several Ysart items.

I am still keeping an open mind, but I now favour continental Europe. But the strong purple tint (excess manganese in the mix) is something I cannot be sure of. I also need to check a couple of books, when I can find them.

Any other readers have a idea or two?
KevinH

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 02:31:48 PM »
Just to add I bought this weight at an auction and the preceding lot was a butterfly paperweight with aventurine body and millefiori wings on a orange and black ground. The butterfly was in a square lattice / filigree twists box. I thought it could possibly be Ysart related like the sulphide weight but was outbid at £280, I think the person who won it had the same idea.

I know that has nothing to do with this weight really but they could have possibly came from the same source, who knows..

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 10:18:14 PM »
The butterfly weight sounds interesting. Any chance of an online image for it?

It could be Ysart but, like the sulphide weight, it would need study of several features. For example, an "orange and black ground" sounds unusual for any Ysart weight, but it depends on how the colours are used, such as mottled, striped, etc. And "filigree twists used in a square (or diamond) pattern" could apply to weights possibly from Salvador Ysart.
KevinH

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 07:15:08 AM »
Hi Kevin, Yes I downloaded the picture from the auction website, I am allowed to upload photo's to the site that don't belong to me though? I could email you it if you wish?

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 07:19:23 AM »
And just to clarify the ground was black directly under the butterfly but orange outside the perimeter of the filigree twists , the colours weren't mixed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand