No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Car boot finds with Canadian glass vase and label  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Car boot finds with Canadian glass vase and label
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 01:58:55 PM »
I can definitely see where you're coming from on the Blenko front Barbara, but I (call me foolhardy if you like) think yours is Italian.  I have checked through my Blenko book & the one you mentioned...and, for me, there just seems a 'I don't know what' quality missing about your green one.

Not really much help am I?   :lol:  Ivo is great on blown Italian glass, but I can't think of anyone that covers Blenko here...<scratches head>  I'll have to say 'Dunno' on that one perhaps.  :wink:

By the way - your daughter looks simply STUNNING in that dress, how lucky she is to have a superb vintage dress that no-one else will be wearing!   :D
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 02:13:46 PM »
Thankyou for all the comments about Felicity and the dress, her face is bright red now :lol: Just need the shoes, bag, jewellery, hair etc etc.... oh to be 15 again.

Maybe one of our American collectors can shed some light on the decanter. Max its on page 204 and says "unidetified stoppered bottle in amber" some help! But it is in the US setion not the Italian one (looking hopeful  :wink: )

Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 02:15:29 PM »
Your daughter looks fantastic Barbara!!
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 02:33:03 PM »
I don't know if this'll help Barbara, but it gives you a feel of what to look for in Blenko.  

http://blenkocollectors.com/blenkocollrepros.htm
I am not a man

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 03:27:28 PM »
Hi,

The bottle is definitely not Blenko.  No doubt about it. It is Italian, most likely by Empoli in Naples.

Laura

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 03:47:06 PM »
Hi Laura,

thanks, I have looked at the link Max showed and I now can tell its not Blenko, but for £1.00 it was worth a gamble ( better than £30.00 :lol: )
 from what I can see its to do with stoppers and bases, solid and ground for the stoppers, and take your pick with the bases :?  And then some of the early bubble glass looks like Whitefriars and others, (maybe thats what my unusual vase was?) No wonder my head hurts.

Barbara

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 03:55:38 PM »
Hi,

Blenko decanters are blown, not molded like this bottle. A decanter with mold marks or seams can't be Blenko.  Also, Blenko decanter's don't have plastic around the stoppers (neither do most Italian decanters).

Don't feel bad about the purchase, these big bottles are popular with decorators regardless of who made them.  And they look great in groups. I have a few of them on my patio. They are inexpensive and look great with potted plants.

Laura

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 04:29:08 PM »
Hi Laura,

This decanter isn't moulded its free blown and the striation marks can be seen in the body, the glass is very fine and thin which is why, when I bought it I thought of Blenko or Pilgrim rather than the Italian factories.

This is when you wish that they had invented "touchy feely" internet access so the the "feel" of the glass can come through. Its so frustrating when words aren't enough :evil:

Barbara

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
It's molded or mold blown.  If you had five of these, they'd each be exactly the same with no variation between them.  Blenko decanters will always have slight variations.  Believe me, I've handled dozens if not hundreds of these.  It is definitely Italian and no way by Blenko.

Laura

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 04:44:59 PM »
Hi Laura,

I realise that its not Blenko now, honestly :D, its just when you have an image in your head and see something like it then find out its not, its nice to have some more information in case another similar piece crops up.

The trouble is there is so little American glass here that you can see and touch, and photographs only help to show colour and shape, its a mine field. Poor Glen is trying to help me with Carnival glass, and I must say I am learning slowly. But there is lots more of that here!

I must put an American glass book on my Christmas list, have you got any that you recomend? I do like pictures, but am getting better with writing as well now :lol:

Barbara

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand