No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some recent purchases and perhaps some thoughts on them  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
Some recent purchases and perhaps some thoughts on them
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:06:00 PM »
Hi all,

Just thought I'd show some recent purchases for my collection as I think they're rather nice and to have some of your thoughts on them.

First up is a rather unusual Cut-Ice Lollipop, it appears to have a deliberate bubble in the center and the early colours matching a Harris era Fish vase I have, I would suspect a Harris era experimental?

Second is a peculiar lollipop vase with the maltese cross applied on both sides and a buttoney top, can't say I've ever seen one myself and I'm uncertain of its date.

Third is a very recognisable early Harris era Amethyst Fish vase with the early blue Mdina label as opposed to the black.

Second to last is what I believe to be an experimental large vase for Rosenthal, the colours are identical and match the general aesthetic of other Rosenthal peices, but I'd be happy to know what people think.

Lastly a button top Sidestripe vase in early blue Harris era colours.

(Photos due to their size will appear in posts following this one)

Thanks in advance!

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
Re: Some recent purchases and perhaps some thoughts on them
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 01:10:42 PM »
The Maltese Cross Lollipop Vase

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
The Amethyst Fish Vase.

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 01:17:06 PM »
The 'Rosenthal' Vase.

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:21:13 PM »
Sidestripe vase.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:42:41 PM »
 :)
The first one isn't a "cut-ice", it's a Lollipop with a hole in the middle.

The matter of "cut-ice" depends on whether or not the faces of a lollipop have been flattened on the marver, twice on one side, to make a v-shape on the front and once on the other (for the back) then subsequently futher cut and polished to make the facets on the front.
I tend to refer to the ones that got flattened, but not subsequently further refined by the cold-work, as uncut, cut-ice lollipops.

The hole in the middle is unusual, I also suspect an experimental piece but I wouldn't like to give it a date, nor would I assume it is very early.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 09:33:42 PM »
Hi Sue,

It certainly is a Cut-Ice, the polished front in a V shape is there but perhaps not so clear in the photo. I'd like to think after years of collecting I know what one is ;D

I would only suggest it being early becuase of the colourway that is identical to a Harris era Fish I have, more waves of blue mixed in rather than a solid block colour with a few yellow/green bits included. The neck to the top is very much ochre like and has small pieces of amethyst, but alas I can't seem to take a photo of it that does it justice and shows it properly. Just to clarify the bubble is a bubble and not a hole, its encased in glass within the piece itself.

If anyone could help with the specific details of each piece I'd be grateful, more to pinpoint dates specificially.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 01:24:13 PM »
I have short term memory problems and can't think about more that one piece at a time. :-[
And I couldn't tell from the pics that it was cut, not your fault obviously, and I couldn't see how that fitted with the hole in the middle.
I suspect it's not Harris, because the neck and rim are are short, thick and a bit inelegant.

But probably early '70s. I would think all of the bits are, really. The shape of the next bottle is from that period too, I have seen others, but not many.

You don't really need any comments on the amethyst Fish, do you?
It's perfect, and it's Harris. Now you're just stuck with the problem of the label getting in the way of displaying it properly. ;D

It's unusual to see a Rosenthal vase that appears to be completely heat worked, not moulded.

Brain now fried!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 03:43:57 PM »

First up is a rather unusual Cut-Ice Lollipop, it appears to have a deliberate bubble in the center and the early colours matching a Harris era Fish vase I have, I would suspect a Harris era experimental?

I have an identical example and I know of another........ both are 'ice cut'

Cheers.

Patrick

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 06:02:50 PM »
Thats alright Sue I should have probably mentioned it in my description!

I did think that about it, although Patrick's example looks far more inkeeping with Harris era than mine in terms of the better slender executuon of the neck and top, having said they're clearly part of the same experiment so I'd be intrested in what era you think they're from Patrick?

No, the Amethyst Fish is more showing off really ;D You're quite tright but I think I'll put up with a sticker for the sake of having it!

The Rosenthal is odd, wonky and full of bubbles/ash etc. But a beauty in its own right, can't say Ive seen one and I'm of the impression it was used to see how colours would work/method of production rather than a piece for sale specifically. But someone must have liked it enough to buy it at the time!

Thanks for you time to reply Sue I appreciate it.

Thanks Patrick for the photo of yours, do you believe it to be Harris era or perhaps just after as Sue suggested?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand