No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: some Burtles & Tate Registrations.  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
some Burtles & Tate Registrations.
« on: March 13, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »
there look to be approximately forty Registrations between early 1884 and their final request for design protection in early 1914 - then nothing during their last ten years, when they were swallowed up in 1924.                     Most of the sought after pieces coming somewhere in the last decade or so of the C19.
After c. 1900 a good percentage of designs are more in the way of utility items, with only rarely something that interests collectors of pressed glass.
There was a recent brief discussion on the Board - of their Regs. Nos. 501821/2 both dated 11th May 1907 - which seem to be scarce items, with almost nothing visual in the books perhaps apart from Jenny Thompson (page 38) - but I could be wrong there  - put me right if I've missed other references.     In order to cross-link these two threads, here is a link to the recent thread where this was first mentioned  .......
regret I now forget where the original comments were, so this post may need a little tidying.
Mod: See Reply #1 for the cross-linked thread

Thompson shows what appears to be a reproduction of the original factory drawing (now at TNA Kew) for Reg. 501822 only, although in her text does include both numbers.                            Rd. 501821 is for a 'salt sellar', and with some alterations of the mould it becomes Rd. 501822 and suitable for use as an 'ink pot' - which looks to have provision for pen supports.                 
It's just possible that in view of the similarity of shape (a book on its side) of both Registrations, Thompson decided to save space and omit the drawing for 501821 - the 'salt sellar'  .................   someone tell me why that spelling on the drawings?   
As usual with these things, I've no idea as to the size of these book shaped Registrations - does anyone know?

I already have one or two other pix of B. & T. Registrations and will add over the coming days as time permits.

If there are any errors in the above, please feel free to correct, and if anyone has additional info. to add which might increase the interest please do so.     

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: some Burtles & Tate Registrations.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »
bit disjointed, but here is the link for the first post in this thread - so should now be cross referenced in both directions  ...............                             https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,66334.0.html

Another item, out of sequence unfortunately, is what I assume to be a vase  -  again no idea of dimensions unless anyone has an example though don't think I've seen one previously on the Board  -  Registration No. 388857 dated 20th March 1902.

Would be very useful if anyone has a picture in the flesh so to speak, that can be added.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:32:29 PM »
Thank you for showing these, Paul. Will add them to the GMB RD database in due course.

BTW, RD 388857 of 20th March 1902 was, presumably, a commemorative piece (based on St. Edward's Crown) for the coronation of  Edward VII and his wife Alexandra as King and Queen of the United Kingdom and the British Empire originally scheduled  to take place at Westminster Abbey on 26 June 1902. However, the ceremony was postponed at very short notice, because the King had been taken ill with an abdominal abscess that required immediate surgery, and the coronation eventually took place on 9 August 1902.

Incidentally, although the crown is made of solid gold, up until George V’s coronation it was set with paste stones and enamel mounts. In 1911, for the coronation of George V, the crown was permanently set with semi-precious stones, and the imitation pearls were replaced with gold beads, which were plated with platinum.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:21:54 AM »
many thanks Fred  -  extra information such as yours, helps to make these threads more interesting.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
three Registrations to follow ....................

1/ ............   No. 406300 dated 05.03.1903  -   'Design for cover for Bird Glass'.   ....       possibly offering some protection when used in a bird cage  -  small unlidded bowls for bird seed can be seen in Silber & Fleming, so perhaps this cover was intended to complement such bowls  -  am sure I've never seen one.

2/ ............   No. 427524 dated 25.02.1904  -   'Design for arm for flower stand'   ....       not sure how this might be used, and again almost certainly I've never seen one.

3/ ............   No. 474329 dated 20.02.1906  -  'Design for railway carriage lamp glass'   ..  possibly the most interesting of these three - though doubtless now exceptionally scarce unless a few have remained intact on the Orient Express or similar.         Being part of carriages that must have been scrapped wholesale, I doubt that we'll see one.                   Looks like the stylized Venetian Dolphin gets a look in here - though rather ugly.

No idea whether any or all of these three Registrations were marked on the glass - possibly the seed cover and carriage shade were, but likely the flower stand wasn't.              As usual, no idea as to dimensions, but would be marvellous if anyone has an example to show.            One picture will flip over to the following post.     

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 07:04:50 PM »
and here is the other image for 474329  ............

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 10:06:13 AM »
Thank you, Paul.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 02:45:08 PM »
another four, to keep you busy Fred  -  Nos. 148661, 166178, 351372 and 403657  -  and as always big thanks for adding these Kew drawings to the Board's archive.

We've probably never had any of these either  -  particularly the designs for electric light shades - but there may be a chance that someone here has seen an example of the epergne like centre piece for flowers (?) or the whiskey vase - presumably some form of dispenser for Scotch - perhaps in a commercial premises, but I'm guessing.
Feel free to add comments if you have something of additional interest for any of these Registrations. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 04:15:48 PM »
and the final group from Kew for the time being - and probably a few weeks before I visit TNA again.

Regs. Nos. 386616 and 386617  -  ornamental obviously  -  there are identical designs shown in S.&F. (page 126), sinuous rope-like "twisted glass arms" used in the construction of flower stands with mirrored base.
Similarly twisted items in glass (page 180) are shown as stand alone pieces and described as "plain and cut glass arms".
Bit of a difference in dates though  ..........   S. & F's catalogue dates to the early 1880s, whilst these two Regs. date to 1902  -  perhaps these things had a big appeal over a long time.
Perhaps other decorative uses, thought I'd seen such things around mirrors.

Reg. 391814 - described as a "design for a perforated division of a dish"  -  unexciting but maybe someone has seen this before.     

Over to you Fred ;D

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 10:21:24 PM »
Thank you, Paul.

Will try to add them to the GBM RD database in the next couple of days.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand