No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Glass Firgurine  (Read 2464 times)

Offline msiscoe

• Members
Murano Glass Firgurine
« on: March 13, 2018, 06:29:33 PM »
Hello,

Does anyone know who made this. It's very well done.

Many thanks,

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Murano Glass Firgurine
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 09:40:52 PM »
There is a similar one in Leslie Pina's Archimede Seguso book pg 166. I would not take this as an ID as this one is sommerso. It does have many similarities but it could be a common theme. Beautifully made and I would not be surprised if it was A.S.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »
Thank you for that information. I need to invest in some good Murano reference books. I'm new to collecting these...

I agree, very well made. I don't know if you can tell from the photos, but each fruit in the basket is hand made and attached...

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »
I'm not versed in Murano or Seguso at all, but these sorts of figures were made by the glassmaster Franco Toffolo, before he came to Scotland.
I have to confess a strong fondness for Mr. Toffolo, I got to know the work he did after he retired and I even saw him once, running through the Strathearn Gallery in Crieff.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 01:54:55 PM »
Now there's a name I've never heard before....did a Google search with his name, didn't find anything similar to my sculpture, but the internet doesn't have everything ever made...lol

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 02:47:31 PM »
 :)
Mr Toffolo was extremely prolific - absolutely addicted to glassmaking and he had skills in very many areas. He couldn't stop even after he retired, he managed to get some space for himself in John Deacons' studio on Thursdays and just went mad, making anything he fancied doing.

I did find a figurine with a fruit basket in a search, but the image is on that stupid pin thing and I'm not, so I can't track it down or find out its origins, or even post a link to it.
it is described as; "Murano Opaline Alass Fruit Seller Figurine Speckled blue dressed woman with polychrome fruit in basket"
I don't know if it's Toffolo or not. Just because he did a lot of fancy and exuberant flamenco dancers doesn't mean he didn't do these much more demure and beautiful fugures either.
I am really quite ignorant about these things. But I like a chance to mention Mr. Toffolo and spread his name to those who haven't heard of him before. He was a legend, even in his own time.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 05:38:02 PM »
That's the one, which is very similar to the original here, but we still can't track any origins or a maker from it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline BDG55

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • murano
    • USA
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 12:12:00 AM »
I was leaning towards Salviati, who made similar figures from the waist down, until I saw Ardy's example from Pena's book. I too would lean towards Seguso as there are several similarities which points to the two pieces being made by the same artist; the shapes are basically the same, the belts are very similar with both having the same bauble-like design, the cuffs on the arms, the gently bowed out skirt and the crystal cased inner core - yours green and the other pink. I wouldn't concern myself so much with the color as peasant pieces such as yours are not necessarily color specific.   

I don't know if you have access to Pena's book, so here's a photo of the page for you to compare the two.

https://ibb.co/cTpBcS

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 11:47:44 PM »
Thank you all for all this information....much appreciated!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand