No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signature on a decanter - ID = Patrick McMahon  (Read 1412 times)

Offline nardy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • uk
Signature on a decanter - ID = Patrick McMahon
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »
Hello
 Please could anyone decipher this signature for me ? It is on a clear glass decanter with etched snowdrop design.  I've rubbed pencil over it to try and make it clearer
Thank you

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Signature on a decanter
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
hi  -welcome to the GMB.             Regret I can't decipher the signature despite your good efforts at photography.          I don't know at all that it will help us with an id, but would suggest that a couple of good pix of the whole bottle will be useful - just out of interest if nothing else.
You might also look for 'matching Nos.'  -  assuming this stopper and body left the factory as partners, then an identical number should appear on both the stopper stub and somewhere around the neck, or just inside the rim.          Not all decanters were so marked, but the better quality ones were, and we might assume that if someone has signed this bottle then it might indicate there is some claim to quality. :)

Offline nardy

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 07:03:39 PM »
Thank you for your reply . I feel inspired to find answers to a couple of other mysteries I've got now.  One is a polar bear on a rock , I can't remember the name but it is the same as the maker of the petrol pump tops ( milky white glass ) and the other is a vase. I will take further pictures of the decanter tomorrow in the daylight and after a good wash - the decanter , not me !

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 07:19:42 PM »
 :) -  seeking answers, and actually finding them, are very different things, but we shall do our best for you.       Await your pix.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 08:40:17 PM »
Does that say Richard......?  ???

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 11:56:16 PM »
It could be the late Patrick McMahon, master engraver... http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-22334 - seeing the whole thing would be helpful though.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline nardy

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 09:52:44 PM »
Thank you , I hadn't realised there were more replies . Yes , I think it does look like the Patrick signature. I have taken some more pictures of the decanter .I also include photos of a name on a vase . I thought the first letter might be a Continental 'Z' , with a line through the middle , but maybe it is a capital E . I'm sorry it is so poor.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 11:26:32 PM »
Hi thanks for the pix, and yes you can add more than one picture per post - in fact you can add four per post, but .............  not of different items :)
You may add more pix of the clear decanter, but you will have to start a new thead for the vase - hopefully the Mods. will be able to help revise your post.

Are the snow drops acid etched?  -  you may be correct, but also possible they might have been engraved using a wheel - I can't really see from your picture alone.          If you look closely at the work can you see fine one directional lines within the parts of the snow drop plant?

Regret I know noting of Patrick McMahon.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
2nd pic moved to join 1st pic in reply #6. Vase split off to new topic here: https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,66457.0.html

Patrick McMahon was an Irish master engraver who trained at Waterford in Ireland. He worked as an engraver in Grange over Sands using the tradename Artcrystal (not connected to the better known Bohemian brand Artcrystal) until he died of a brain tumour in 2010 at just 55 years old. He is one of my particular research interests, being very local to me.
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,42002.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline nardy

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »

Thank you for the additional information.
I have run my finger nail across the leaves and I can feel little ridges so wheel engraving confirmed. So now I know the man who made it and how it was done - excellent !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand