No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber One Gallon Jug with Cork Seal. ID = Dominion Glass, Canada  (Read 13429 times)

Offline Erwin

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • CA
I am trying to find out the origin of this one gallon amber jug, it has no raised letters or markings on it on the outside, it has a finger loop and was sealed with a cork.  On the bottom, it has the letter "D" within a diamond logo, which I believe represents the Dominion Glass company in Canada, and this logo was used from 1928 to 1976 I believe.  Also on the underside it also a raised marking or code that resembles a fish hook, it is a short straight line with a small circle on one end and a half circle on the other end, or possibly it is an extended number, a 6 or a 9.   This marking or code may identify which factory in Canada it was produced in, or the year or range of years it was made or possibly what the jug was used for or what was stored in it.   Any help with this jug would be appreciated.  I have two pictures showing the jug and the underside.  Thanks.  Erwin

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Amber One Gallon Jug with Cork Seal
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 11:09:10 PM »
Hi Erwin, welcome to the GMB.

Please note that I have removed your duplicate post in the Canada forum.

Posting the same message in two or more forums gets complicted if replies are added to more than one entry. Also, as your post is about an ID request it belongs here in the Glass forum until an ID is found and at that time a moderator will move it to whichever "country" forum is applicable.

I hope that someone will be able to help. But your query may be better placed in a "Glass Bottle" message board - assuming you have not already tried that.
KevinH

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
Re: Amber One Gallon Jug with Cork Seal
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 11:18:49 PM »
Hello Erwin.... German?

Yes you are right with Dominion Glas Company Canada, Born 1913 when a couple of Glas company’s „married“ the D within the rhombus was used from 1913 and is only seen on flasks not on table glas.

The flask company produced in Montreal. Table Glas was produced in Walleceburg and until 1925 in Toronto, 

This informations are from the Glasmarken Lexikon from Carolus Hartmann.

I think this Jugs where used for a lot of liquids, but maybe this was for Canadian Whiskey?

Monika

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Amber One Gallon Jug with Cork Seal. ID = Dominion Glass, Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 11:31:33 PM »
Well done Monika. One of the quickest ID results I have known here. Off to the Canada forum it is then. ;D
KevinH

Offline Erwin

• Members
    • CA
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 06:09:27 PM »
Thanks for note and info Kevin, I already knew the jug was made in Canada so I posted on the Canada forum, but I did not know anything else about the actual factory and years of manufacturer, etc. so I posted on the Glass forum too, but completely understand the potential complications of having two threads going at one time, and now we are back to the Canada forum so will go forward from here.

Thanks Monika for the quick response; yes, I have a German background, both my grandparents and father immigrated to Canada From Austria.  I appreciate the information from your book, it sounds like a very large encyclopedia.  Dominion Glass had 6 factories across Canada, and yes, Montreal and Wallaceburg were two of them.  I have attached the history of Dominion Glass where it explains the evolution of the Diamond D logo ( or D within a Rhombus).

Not sure what you mean by flask - in English, flask usually means a type of laboratory glass or a small flat rounded glass vessel that you can carry in your pocket.  Are you saying this jug in the picture would be considered a type of flask?

In the history of Dominion Glass that I have attached as a file, it mentions during Prohibition, Dominion glass bottles with no markings on the bottom were used to ship whisky from a Saskatchewan still to the United States but then later,  they were forced to start using their diamond D logo in order to ship into the states, so yes, this jug could have been used for whiskey at one time, this is one of the things I am trying to find out, what was this jug used for i.e. what liquids were shipped in it and by whom?

What I am really curious about is what the factory code (the elongated number 6 or 9, or fish hook symbol) on the bottom of the bottle refers to - location of factory? Year or month of manufacture? Mold number?   Any help or information on this would be appreciated.   Erwin

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 06:49:30 PM »
Hello Erwin
At least you know more about Dominion than me. I know only what I read yesterday. If you want I send you a scan from the book, but I doubt that there are more information then you already know. Are you able to read German?

I‘m not a native speaker, so I‘m sorry about the misunderstanding from the flask, may be because I‘m working in a lab. I only wanted to say that only in Montreal  bottles jugs and maybe flasks where produced.
Monika

Offline Erwin

• Members
    • CA
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 05:12:46 PM »
Morning Monika and thanks for reply, no I can't read German and I agree with you, it looks like there is just as much or more information on Dominion Glass on other historical glass websites as there is in your book, so no need to scan pages, thanks for the offer though.

I have to assume that your book has nothing to say on the factory code on the bottom of the jug, the elongated 6 or 9, that is what I am looking for now.  I did mange to find an article on the mould numbers and what size of bottles, and contents, etc. from the Montreal factory, and yes, there was some flasks listed among other types of bottles but no 160 oz. ( 1 gallon) amber jugs were listed, so it must have been made at a different factory, I am thinking possibly the one in Redcliff Alberta, which was located near to me and I did find this jug in Alberta too.

Anyway, good for now, I will see if anyone else responds and has some information that may be useful.  Regardless, thanks for your time on this Monika.   

Erwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand