No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Veined jug for show.  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Veined jug for show.
« on: March 19, 2018, 07:09:15 PM »
Pieces with similar style of surface decoration appear also to be known variously as random threaded/peloton/crackle/relief textured.
A small jug - 3.5" in height - blown and not moulded, though I've no idea how the 'Kralik' type decor is applied.     Very neat and well finished polished pontil depression, and in certain light a beautiful all over surface iridescence, though not easy to pick that up with the camera.    Might this be achieved in the same way as the carnival method  -   salts thrown into a muffle kiln?. 
Considerable wear on the underside, and much dirt where the handle joins the body, so am tempted to suggest first third of C20 - though that's speculation - it might possibly be earlier.               Was this decorative style at it's height 1890 to 1920, or was it used for longer perhaps.
The rim shows lines running around the piece indicating a tool was used to 'round' that part of the jug. 

The decoration is possibly best known on central European art glass, though it does appear on some British pieces c. 1880 - none of which is my area at all.
Probably a non starter for locating maker - it might have come from anywhere, but for a humble jug (milk or cream) it has been given a more impressive appearance than might be expected, where many similar shaped pieces are pressed  -  so would settle for a suggestion of date. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Veined jug for show.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 01:07:36 AM »
not Peloton - that has small threads (often multi coloured) embedded in the surface (iirc)
not threaded either I don't believe.
It could be called 'relief decorated' as a simple description but I think in reality it is :

crackle glass,made again iirc by dipping in cool water?? so it crackles and then blowing out again to enlarge the crackle.
The surface finish iirc may be dependent on whether it is reheated (so the surface crackle is 'soft'), or not which would leave the crackle fairly rough.  I think... open to correction from a glassmaker or anyone else.

I am not sure which British maker used this technique - Apsley Pellatt did say in his book he made a form of crackle glass though but that was c.1840s and I think a different type of crackle.  Too late to go and look in the book at the moment.

I think it's most likely to be a Bohemian maker (but that's just me).

I think there was a long standing discussion on Loetz using this technique and somewhere there are some larger crackle water jugs with angled handles that iirc were made by Loetz??

Kralik did make crackle glass as well.
Also another maker (cannot remember name for the life of me - maybe S. Reich & Co ?) who made lampshades, also did crackle glass.  I put some info on the board somewhere relating to 'crackle glass lampshade' title or similar.

All open to correction :)

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:41:34 AM »
well, not from me  ;D  -  not really my area m, and to be honest I didn't expect replies.             As you've described, this finish is open to some interpretation  -  the piece itself might have been from one of many sources - and even date wise there might be much speculation.
So, we'll put it down to simply being interesting and presently with unknown provenance/age/decoration  -  though with the passing of time who knows, someone might come up with the answer.             thanks again:-)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 06:38:33 PM »
Bohemian is the easy option, covers a wide swathe of possibilities. ;D

I thought this iridescent jug more likely Kralik rather than Loetz, something about the overall finish but the design is a bit special.

John

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 06:54:59 PM »
Flying Free, the jug i think you are referring to is the jug made by Loetz and also made my Ludvika Smrckova for Antonin Ruckl. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/48/65/00/486500a38c03486b4cf764d31a52ea08.jpg
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 07:01:28 PM »
John - is your jug a blown piece, with ground/polished pontil depression?              Very attractive, and does incline me to think mine might be from the same country source, if nothing else  -  I like the bird impression. :)           Is yours bigger than mine? ;D

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 07:07:25 PM »
It was but in this case ground and not polished - not unusual with Kralik.

Bigger too, five or six inches. :-X

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 07:53:10 PM »
There was considerable discussion ages ago about jugs with this crackle finish which had handles created by making a hole in the body of the vessel and shaping it accordingly.
There was some talk of them being Moser, but I think there was a superior and an inferior manufacturer of similar items and nobody really got to any end decisions.

I have one. It is the inferior kind. (It's currently too grumpy to smile for the camera, but I'll get it later)

Your birdie jug is constructed in a similar birdie fashion to Christine's Loetz Chicken jug, John.
(not the whole thing, just the birdieness)

When I say ages ago, I mean "probably before some folk here were born".
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 08:45:32 PM »
I think Harrach also did animal/bird type pieces as well but yes, as Sue said, the first thing I thought of was Christine's Loetz set with the bird.

Tiger yes :) thanks that is the jug to which I was referring.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 09:24:21 PM »
I wouldn't dream of commenting on a maker for these pieces, but would humbly suggest this decorative effect has nothing to do with crackle/ice glass, where the hot and partly blown piece is immersed momentarily in water to create the cracks, and then further blown before it all falls apart.
I still see much crackle glass in charity shops, and there is a similarity of appearance with almost all of it  -  a multitude of very fine random fissures.

Certainly my small jug and probably John's too, have a surface decoration possibly best described as applied relief random threading - possibly marvered into the surface - but definitely unlike crackle glass.              Nothing to do with overshot either, which sometimes had me confused with ice glass.

But I'll settle for Bohemian ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand