No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need some help . . .  (Read 3038 times)

Offline BGB1983

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glassware
    • United Kingdom
Need some help . . .
« on: March 20, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
Hello,

I am brand new to this forum, but you might be able to help with your fantastic knowledge of all things glass.

I am a prop collector and glassware is a big part of what I enjoy collecting from films. There are several pieces which I have already been able to hunt down but there have been a couple which not only myself, but a vast majority of others from other forums I have joined, have tried (and failed) to identify.

I have attached the images of each of the items I am trying to identify. Mod: See moderator note below. There have been many musings on where and what type of glass they are. Simple rocks glass, lead crystal, hungarian crystal, the search and list of ideas goes on.

So if anyone has any idea what these glasses may be, who produces them, or even any leads to follow, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you in advance for any information

Alan

Mod: The second item is now in a thread of its own. See: Agent K's Glass (Help with identification) - Blade Runner .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Need some help . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »
Hi and welcome.
I can't really tell too much from your images. They appear to be mould blown and have machine heat-finshed rims, so they're probably from some mass production range.
Good, clear images of the base would help.
We do have techie help and info here to help you with resizing images to blow-up.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.0.html

I will have to ask a moderator to split your thread into two different ones, I hope you don't mind. We like a whole thread for every single bit of glass, it keeps the information we get straight and organised for our records and archives.

I'm sure we've had several threads from us here in the past, identifying glass we see on tv.
I certainly recognise lots from old episodes of star trek.
And I'm positive I saw a Mdina Fish vase on an american show last week.
Graham Norton has some Rihimaki and possibly a Cascade-licensed rather than original Gulvase behind him, and there used to be a lot of tangerine textured whitefriars on some cooking show.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BGB1983

• Members
    • Glassware
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 03:16:44 PM »
Wow, thank you so much for your quick response. I will find some other pictures that might be able to help identify and pop them up soon.

Also, I have no problems with what ever needs to be done to keep things official on your guys forum (don't want to come in and make a bad impression!).

I will follow the link provided and pop up the up scaled images on the new threads once it has been split up.

Thanks again,

Alan

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 04:54:08 PM »
If you run into problems, you can always click on the envelope under my username, which will get us into email contact and you can send me images for fixing.

We rather like spotting glass on tv shows. We can get ourselves all hoity-toity when they get their periods wrong. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:00:47 PM »
hi Alan  -  welcome to the GMB, and wish you luck with your questions here.                   Your image of the glasses re Blade Runner is presumably reference to the re-make from last year ..................   do you know which film is the source of the still showing the guy about to drink?
Can't really see this information helping us, but you never know  ....................  unsure if you actually have these pieces, or just the stills  -  if you have the glasses then just a note with height will also be of interest.

Much glass imported into the States and the U.K., for example, originates from those sources geared up to supply vast amounts of inexpensive drink ware into these countries.                   Sources in the Far East and eastern Europe make a lot of unremarkable utility glass - though perfectly suitable for the intended use, and obviously some has a futuristic appearance.

Assumptions are dangerous, but I would have thought it unlikely these were lead glass  -  though you can tell easily by flicking the sides - the tell-tale ring, or not - will give the answer.         Crystal is a very overused word, and possibly best used only when speaking of lead glass.
Expect you have already tried a variety of directions to find matching images  -  my only thought is to keep searching large manufacturers of table ware in the hope of success  -  the GMB receives few requests for id for glasses such as these  -  we're usually inundated with requests re art glass, studio glass, C19 pressed glass, and historic hand made material.

Your pursuit sounds very interesting - dare say it could fill a few aircraft hangers if out of control :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
They won't be crystal - they have machine heat-finished rims. I can see that in the pics. :)
The first makers I'd start searching around would be Durobor or Arcoroc.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 12:24:14 AM »
Hi Alan, for splitting out the separate glasses to their own thread, it would be easier in this instance if you simply start a new thread for the second item above and with the same photo. I will add a "Mod note" to your initial post in this thread to act as a reminder that the second photo can be removed (by a moderator) after the new thread is set up.

Also could you please try to make a meaningful title for each thread you create relating to the item.

Edited to add ... New thread for second item now set up - see original post.
KevinH

Offline BGB1983

• Members
    • Glassware
    • United Kingdom
Lt Joshi's Glass (Help with identification) - Blade Runner 2049
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 02:31:31 AM »
Wow I am overwhelmed by all of your responses! Thank you so much for your help and kind words so far!

Just want to go through each of your replies so I can hopefully add a few more insights to this discussion.

chopin-liszt - Thank you for offering to help out and I will no doubt message you in the future should anything else come up that I am not sure about! I have utilised the optimiser for better sizing of the images on the second post which I was asked to make to seperate the idetification of both of the glasses. Also thank you for the potential lead of the two suppliers - I will be scouring their websites tonight!

Paul S - Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, the glasses in question come from the second instalment of the Blade Runner universe - 2049. The top image and the rest of this thread will be about what is commonly called by those searching for the glass as Lt Joshi Glass (Lt Joshi in BR 2049 is played by Robin Wright who is holding it with Luv in the image below). This is the square glass with a smaller rounded square base. I do not currently have the glasses, and this is hopefully where you guys and your wealth of knowledge can come to my rescue, as I really want to buy them :)
You are also not wrong where you said that the pursuit of these items is not only interesting but can most definitely get out of hand! There is a huge Blade Runner forum of which I am a part of and there is quite a few people looking for these pieces but to no avail!

KevinH - Thank you for understanding my naivety on posting on your forum. I have set up a new thread with regards to the second image referenced. Should i make any further faux pas' please let me know and I will remedy them immediately. I have also changed the name of the thread fitting to the description of the top image.

Please find the link below for the new thread with regards to the lower of the two images.
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,66474.msg371765.html#msg371765

Also for further identification I have added a few extra images of the top square glass to help.

Many thanks for all of your replies

Alan

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 02:44:02 AM »
Hi Alan,

We could have a problem.

Are any of the photos you have shown in this and your other thread, actually your own images? If not, then Board Policy on Copyright Material disallows their use here.
KevinH

Offline BGB1983

• Members
    • Glassware
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 03:01:08 AM »
They are not - I will take them down now.

If I can post links to them from other websites who own the images, is that permitable?

I apologise for posting them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand