No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: discussion about this forum  (Read 4414 times)

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
discussion about this forum
« on: August 06, 2006, 05:35:44 PM »
Frank wrote:

This forum is for identification purposes, all other chatter belongs in the Cafe

Frank, with all due respect, much of what is discussed under glass paperweights is not about identification.
'The Ebay effect on collecting, making, and selling glass paperweights' is a fine topic for the message board's sub categaory 'Glass Paperweights'.

Rather than be a touchy or taboo subject, I think this should be discussed here as it is quite relevant and interesting.
Why in the world would anyone be afraid or concerned about discussing this here?
It's relevant, it's happening, it's about 'Glass Paperweights', so let's talk about it under 'Glass Paperweights'.
That way, the people who make, buy, & sell 'Glass Paperweights' will be able to participate in the discussion with relative ease  :)

There are both positives and negatives to the Ebay phenomenom as it applies to the making, selling, and collecting of Glass Paperweights.

Most Sincerely,

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 05:41:46 PM »
Apologies, I have been a victim of fat finger syndrome. Tried to stop the post without my comments, now added.
Quote from: "m1asmithw8s"
Frank wrote:

This forum is for identification purposes, all other chatter belongs in the Cafe

Frank, with all due respect, much of what is discussed under glass paperweights is not about identification.
'The Ebay effect on collecting, making, and selling glass paperweights' is a fine topic for the message board's sub categaory 'Glass Paperweights'.

Rather than be a touchy or taboo subject, I think this should be discussed here as it is quite relevant and interesting.
Why in the world would anyone be afraid or concerned about discussing this here?
It's relevant, it's happening, it's about 'Glass Paperweights', so let's talk about it under 'Glass Paperweights'.
That way, the people who make, buy, & sell 'Glass Paperweights' will be able to participate in the discussion with relative ease  :)

There are both positives and negatives to the Ebay phenomenom as it applies to the making, selling, and collecting of Glass Paperweights.

Most Sincerely,

These comments would have equal relevance, and perhaps even more so, if you removed the word "paperweights". Many of the issues identified apply just as much to general glass as paperweights. Surely the reason for discussing them in the cafe forum is that there is likely to be more comment, not less?

One thing is clear, whatever decision is made, it is entirely inappropriate to carry on this discussion under the heading Caithness in Receivership.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 06:01:49 PM »
aa wrote:
These comments would have equal relevance, and perhaps even more so, if you removed the word "paperweights". Many of the issues identified apply just as much to general glass as paperweights. Surely the reason for discussing them in the cafe forum is that there is likely to be more comment, not less?

One thing is clear, whatever decision is made, it is entirely inappropriate to carry on this discussion under the heading Caithness in Receivership.

aa, I agree that a new thread should be started for this topic.

The reason for the inclusion of the word 'Paperweights' is that we all either make, collect, trade, or sell them, hence the specificity of 'Paperweights'.
This makes the topic relevant here.
That being said, right you are that the 'ebay effect' applies to all collectable glass or collectable anything, for that matter.

Where I am coming from is how we, 'Paperweight' makers, dealers, collecters, et al, think about it and feel about it, etc...

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 06:45:48 PM »
Quote from: "m1asmithw8s"

aa, I agree that a new thread should be started for this topic.

Where I am coming from is how we, 'Paperweight' makers, dealers, collecters, et al, think about it and feel about it, etc...

I can see your viewpoint but I think by affording it a wider audience we might all learn and benefit more.  :D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline THX1138

• Members
common sense
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 12:08:20 PM »
It makes sense on a number of levels to have a discussion about the eBay effect on glass paperweights in the Glass Paperweights forum.

First, it's would be easier for people who ONLY collect glass paperweights. I've noticed that there are people who only post in Ysart or only post in Murano or only post in general Glass; and, of course, who only post in Paperweights.

If it's a general discussion about ALL GLASS, then I'm fairly certain the comments will be infinite; perhaps even to the point of being too many. By compartmentalizing the posts, people with specific interests can find the comments most relevant to them.

It is also very possible that eBay DOES NOT affect all glass. But, when D'Albret sulphides generally go for &20 GBP or $20 USD or E20 EUROS, it's clear that eBay is having an effect on paperweights.

If it were a discussion about how eBay affects "GLASS," then it would make sense to have it in the Cafe. But, a discussion about how eBay affects "GLASS PAPERWEIGHTS" belongs in paperweights because we will be discussion SPECIFIC PAPERWEIGHT AUCTIONS and SPECIFIC PAPERWEIGHT manufacturers.

Makes no sense to write about the Trabucco that went for 80 or the Stankard that went for 200 in a general glass discussion. People uninterested in paperweights will not catch all the references and possibly not care.

Offline jdsalinger

• Members
    • http://www.anti-slavery.org
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 01:26:10 PM »
I'm not sure that you have the right outlook on this, THX1138.  I appreciate that you are crazy about paperweights, but surely if there is an eBAy effect then it applies to other forms of glass and possibly ceramics as well. Isn't it better to get on with the debate, which is actually becoming quite interesting, in the cafe, rather than discussing the finer points of librarianship? :D

I, for one, am very interested to hear your actual views on the subject.
he most wasted of all days is one without laughter - e e cummings

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 02:00:48 PM »
:D :D :D

I think the cafe is the appropriate place for this sort of discussion. Surely comments from folk who watch trends in non-paperweight glass have relevance, if only to confirm or refute that the trends are the same or not in different fields! That is relevant information.

Comments about makers may inspire non-paperweight folk to get interested. I've heard of Stankard and seen his work, which is one reason I'm very glad I don't "do" paperweights - I can't afford them. I've not heard of Trabucco, but will now rectify that.

Non-paperweight folk are not not interested in paperweights, even if they do not want to get stuck into the finer details of canes with magnifying glasses.

I think that keeping this discussion exclusively in the paperweight forum, when it is a general discussion, runs contrary to the ethic of this board, which is to disseminate information freely and openly.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 03:18:04 PM »
The paperweight forum Does disseminate information freely & openly...LOL

Some paperweighters loose site of a topic if it is moved to the cafe which, I suppose, is their problem, but the idea was to maintain a paperweight focus on the issue with a discussion by those who make, collect, sell, trade glass paperweights.

Idea! Why not satisfy everyone and include this topic in both the Glass paperweight forum & in the cafe as well  :D

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 03:27:07 PM »
Maybe now's the time to say that we should be happy that there IS somewhere available to have such a discussion, rather than argue about where that discussion is held!   :D
I am not a man

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 06:51:53 PM »
The obvious solution would be to have the discussion in the Cafe with a shadowlink in the Paperweights forum so that p/w folks would see the discussion is happening and be able to reach it easily. This is what sometimes happens now when a topic is moved from one place to another to enable users to find it more easliy.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand