No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green glass brandy/vase with white stripes, Toso?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Green glass brandy/vase with white stripes, Toso?
« on: March 24, 2018, 04:35:08 AM »
Is it Fratelli Toso?

It's 7 inches high.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Green glass brandy/vase with white stripes, Toso?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 06:32:42 PM »
Empoli maybe?

John

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 01:57:16 AM »
You mean like Alrose glass, could be, but the ribbing is slightly raised on mine.

For comparison, here's a ribbed Toso vase which has a label... https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZIUAAOSwfkdZkJJQ/s-l1600.jpg

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:15:45 PM »
I was not thinking of Alrose particularly, more the almost brandy glass shape of yours.

The type of Toso vase in your link is thick walled and heavy weight (I have one at the present) but there is another style of Toso vase that is more similar to yours.

Wayne has one that looks related to yours here: http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2340
he also has a typo, the similar vases are shown on page 96 of Pina's book. By chance I had a look at one of these vases yesterday, for sale at a fair in Newbury, it was pink with white stripes. The example I handled and the two in the book have opaque white stripes on opaque colour bodies. I have seen a few of these vases over time and the bases have been polished flat leaving a circle of the base colour showing through the white, a bit like an eye. Unfortunately I can not find an image of one online at the moment.

As an aside, these might be related to yours, they are often described as FT but I believe Empoli more likely:
https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/big_antique_fenicio_art_glass_vase_-_fratelli_toso/as534a177

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand