No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Venetian paperweights ID  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Nexxo

• Members
Old Venetian paperweights ID
« on: March 29, 2018, 12:52:44 PM »
Hi all
herewith photo of 2 interesting pw recently found.- Not usual millefiori tecnique  but just end of the day type .- I know possibly it's Venice and very probably mid 19th century but would like to ID factory . Possibly is Bigaglia according to some nice canes
thanks
Nexxo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nexxo

• Members
Re: Old Venetian paperweights ID
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »
Hi all
this is a particular of 2PB weight just published
thanks
Nexxo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 05:28:59 PM »
Hi Nexxo,

I have merged your two threads together and changed the title to be something more meaningful.
To add more information or pictures, just post a reply rather than start another thread.

Normally we would like to have only one item in a thread when there is an ID request. But for these, I think they are very likely from the same maker so I am happy to leave them together in this thread.

Well done on getting the images set up at a good size. Your smaller image in the previous post has now been replaced by the larger one.
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »

I have been carrying out some research on Venetian paperweights for a talk I am giving at the end of the month at the Wheaton Village Paperweight Fest.  I don't think it is possible to be certain of the factory: Bigaglia ran a factory making millefiori canes (mainly for beads), but he did make some paperweights using Francini canes as well as simpler canes that may well have been his own.  However, there were other glass factories on Murano, and there seems to be little record of what they made. Regarding dates, I think it is most likely mid to late1840s: there were very few made in the rest of the 19th century.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nexxo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 01:57:55 PM »
Thanks Alan  I totally agree with you and I do believe it's better to accept them  as they are without further headaches... Of course if in my reseach in Murano something new will come out......will let you know
many thanks
Nexxo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand