No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hoglund Art Glass Studio  (Read 6922 times)

Offline PaulFitz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
Hoglund Art Glass Studio
« on: April 04, 2018, 03:55:36 AM »
Hi all,just thought i would post some of Ola & Marie Hoglund`s work.There has beenquite a few occasions in the past and then only last week when i have told people about his/their work and the response i normally get is "he/they makes penguins and small vases & bowls,don`t they?". Here are some photos of some of their work that i have that i would like to show that is not the case.

Photo 1 is their Incalmo work.Large plate is 58 cms diameter and weighs around 7 kgs.

Photo 2 is some of their early work soon after setting up in Nelson,NZ.All were made in 1985.Tallest piece is 29 cms.

Photo 3 is of a Rainforest Graal vase weighing !0 kgs and 3 Sommerso pieces.

Photo 4 is of course the penguins.Largest being 19 cms tall which is a long way short of one that he made at around 45 cms tall.

Thanks,Paul.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: Hoglund Art Glass Studio
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 10:01:36 PM »
Thanks Paul.

That is a serious collection of the Hoglund's work. I agree that they are highly skilled and diverse makers. I have only a few pieces incidental to my collection of Australian studio glass: an early bottle from 1985 with the tall neck and ring like those in your second photo, a small bowl and - yes - a penguin.

I have read that they have a second (Winter?) studio in northern Queensland, but I've never followed up to see what they make there.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline PaulFitz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:28:05 PM »
Hi Trevor,
thank you so much for looking and your thoughts.You are so right about their diversity of work,obviously comes from their training at Orrefors & Kosta Boda.
Unfortunately they closed the Queensland operation and opened another one in Otago,NZ,another beautiful place in the world.
Cheers,Paul.

Offline APEXantiques

• Members
  • I'll never stop defending my truth.
    • 18th-20th C Decorative Art
    • Australia
    • APEX Antique Traders
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 08:54:49 AM »
I thought I'd add to your collection of Hoglund Art Glass (N.Z.) with this piece I was able to pick up on the secondary market relatively cheaply!
APEX Antiques - From the Unique to the Iconic

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 12:04:42 PM »
I have been to the Hoglund Studio.  I was a little disappointed as much of the works designs at the time seemed to be based on Orrefors designs and I like something distinctly their own design.  I found this vase that I really like the colours of as well as the bubbled glass treatment that was very different to the rest available at the time.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand