No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this orrefors glass vase/bowl  (Read 3056 times)

Offline cdm1christopher

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • UK
Is this orrefors glass vase/bowl
« on: April 05, 2018, 07:15:58 PM »
Just bought this lovely piece which I believe is by orrefors the engraving is quite deep but unpolished very thick heavy crystal.  There is reminant of old label shape of orrefors but unsigned.  Lots of wear to base but what fascinated me is the base it's Smokey brown but under uv it is loaded with uranium.  Turns bright green.  Was not sure if orrefors used uranium?  Any info would be much appreciated.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: Is this orrefors glass vase/bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:56:51 PM »
Hello Chris, I think you do have a piece of Orrefors. In the Swedish glass factory book that shape and the combination of colours has it down as Sven Palmqvist.
It also seems that other designers placed other shapes and engraving on top of that semi-circular base.
One of the designs was from the 1941 catalogue.
I hope I have understood this info correctly.
Maybe a real Orrefors expert can come forward.
Nice item.
Tim

Offline cdm1christopher

• Members
    • glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 09:38:34 PM »
Thanks Tim for info.  Is it usual for orrefors to have uranium in the manufacturing process? 
The base is square and towards the top it is bevelled in towards bowl/vase base.  The actual top is hexagonal with panels all the way round looking through the loupe it looks as if these have been wheel cut as opposed to diamond cut.

Offline essi

• Members
    • england
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 08:07:11 PM »
Hello Chris, I cant say if Orrefors used uranium in there glass mix but I collect Elfverson/Stromberg glass which was made in Sweden and that certainly contains uranium.
I do have one piece of green Orrefors that I have not tested with the uv light but it is in one of many boxes that is stored away.
When you type in Orrefors uranium glass in google images not much is shown.
There must be some Swedish glass experts on the GMB.
All the best,
Tim

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
Greetings

It has been a long time but I am back kicking and talking.

The bowl is an Orrefors piece but the base, in my opinion was added. If the bowl is not signed, it
probabley was a second.

Having lived at Orrefors and knowing many of the players, the company personel never talked about using uranium in their glass mixtures both currently or in a historical context.

Bill Geary

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 02:58:21 PM »
Bill, welcome back after 3 years two months a couple of weeks.  ;D
KevinH

Offline essi

• Members
    • england
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 09:16:25 PM »
Thanks for the input on that posting Bill, its good to here from someone so close to the source.
Very useful information when looking at Orrefors in the future.
Tim

Offline cdm1christopher

• Members
    • glass
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »
Many thanks for input but I do have some interesting info regarding my vase.
I have been in touch with orrefors and been in contact with a guy called Björn.

Yes vase is orrefors produced in 1940 by Nils Landberg catalogued as N2136 there was a slightly larger version N2137 although the nude was different but both have the half moon shape below the feet.  There are 11 different colours registered.

This is where it gets interesting Orrefors did use uranium on specific pieces to achieve a desired colour but this was phased out in the 1960s.  There thinner glass during the early years also had small amounts of uranium although not very detectable under UV light.

The piece I have was destined for the US and the retailer on this occasion required an alteration to the original design which was the case with my piece.  The foot was increased in size in relation to the original design and uranium used to a aquire the colour it is now.  So this is not a registered colour for this design.

Obviously because of the start of WW2 export to the States became difficult so in essence this is quite a rare piece and was probably sold at source. 

As regards a second difficult as it was not part of the original design hence a label only and no signature or model no.

Chris

Offline cdm1christopher

• Members
    • glass
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 05:46:00 PM »
Hi All again
I've been reassured that the vase is not a seconds and I have also attached a picture of the base under UV light.

Cheers Chris

Offline essi

• Members
    • england
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 07:36:12 PM »
Good work Chris. interesting item of glass.
Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand