No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina glass candlestick 2  (Read 10604 times)

Offline fatbelly

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Nice things
    • Uk
Mdina glass candlestick 2
« on: April 07, 2018, 10:22:53 AM »
Hello.
Purchased two items that I thought maybe connected to M Harris.Is this a Mdina candlestick or a piece likely connected to M Harris.
The colour on this one is what I would consider not typical Mdina due to the dark blue and the amount of iridescence I presume from silver chloride.
Stands a tad over 6”.
The base has a snapped Pontil and measures 3.75”d.
Weighs 422g
Any help appreciated.
FB
The other stick is listed separately as it’s slightly different.

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
Re: Mdina glass candlestick 2
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:07:55 AM »
Same as my reply on your other thread about the candlestick.

This one to me at least is more unusual, don’t usually see them in this colourway, but anything is possible at Mdina, don’t know what you’ll see next!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:19:59 AM »
I like this one better. They are unusual and fairly scarce.
I cannot add anything to what has already been said. :)
John and I have noticed that the knops on chalices can be either left "ropey" or flattened a bit, these knops appear to be flattened a bit.
I don't know if unflattened knops appear on the candlesticks or not.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline fatbelly

• Members
    • Nice things
    • Uk
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »
Hello Both.
Thanks you for confirming my beliefs about the piece.Its not always straight forward with Mdina and Harris with dates etc etc.
The lustre on this piece is something I have never seen the like on a pi3ce of Mdina I will post a better picture later catching it in the light better.
FB.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 04:23:25 PM »
There seem to be unusual colours in this one too.
Look around the base coloured part, where there is an odd shade of blue streaking through some yellow. It shows up in your first two pics. It's not cobalt, it's duller and greyer than that, but it's not teal either.
There is some of that exact blue in my tiny MH Fish, which was dated '68 by both Tim and Elizabeth Harris.
But it would depend if that colour is exact in the photo. I've just looked at photos of the tiny fish and the colour doesn't show up correctly.

The iridesence you describe is a deposit of silver ions onto the surface, they escape from inside the glass as it is manipulated to allow that to happen.
It was originally a mistake, but a serendipitous one they tried to repeat when possible, although it's dangerous.
Breathing in that sort of substance as a gas is no good for anybody's health.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »
The knop looks amethyst, it can takes on a blue appearance especially when thick, much like this paperweight.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
I was looking at the first image, at the bottom of the knop, just up to the left of the stem, there's a yellow section with two blue streaks in it. It was that shade of grey-ish but deep blue I was blethering about.
There are other blues than can appear too, as John says. It was just those two streaks intrigued me.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline fatbelly

• Members
    • Nice things
    • Uk
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 08:12:17 PM »
I will take come more images in more natural light to show the colours.It does tend to change colour when angled but I wouldn’t have specifically said amethyst but it may appear so with certain light.It will be interesting esp with all that lustre which hopefully the new images tomorrow will convey correctly.
Thanks to both for your knowledge and imput.
appreciated
FB.

Offline fatbelly

• Members
    • Nice things
    • Uk
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 10:58:59 AM »
Having a really close look at the colour I belive it’s a dark grey blue that looks dark purple on the highly irridized surface parts.I cannot get it to show purple like in the image of the paperweight shown by John either in natural light or strip light.That colour just isn’t in this piece.
I have added some more pics for the boards data base I hope they show just how irridized the piece is.
All your views and help was and is appreciated.
FB

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 12:43:50 PM »
Found a pic which sort of shows the colour. It helps that there's an amethyst bit and a teal bit beside it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand