No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina glass candlestick 2  (Read 10593 times)

Offline fatbelly

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Nice things
    • Uk
Re: Mdina glass candlestick 2
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 09:47:53 AM »
Have already used the iPhone torch on it and it really doesn’t show amethyst
I will happily accept your opinion that this is amethyst as you say if you have only seen two colours and that’s all the colours that were ever produced then I cannot argue the point and am happy with that fact it’s just a beautiful piece of glass to me.
I just cannot get this piece of glass to show amethyst like your weight or vase.
Sorry but i have tried.
FB :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
It really is very simple, place a bright light source directly behind the knop as close as you can get safely and then see what colour it shows from the front.

Offline fatbelly

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Nice things
    • Uk
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 05:57:48 PM »
Yes I get the simplicity of what you are saying and as said I have already done that.Im happy to accept what you say that Mdina/Harris only produced sticks in two colour ways and this is obviously not the other colour so only amethyst is left.
Thats all good I can accept that it makes no specific difference to me in real terms.Amethyst it is.
Thanks for all your help it’s appreciated.
FB.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 07:19:57 PM »
I can see amethyst in your very first pic. It is a very brown sort of amethyst.
Look at your first pic, it's the strapping inside the knop, at around 10 minutes to the hour. Dark-browny amethyst.

How two folk actually see any colour is highly unlikely to ever be the same. ;D

For all we know, what I call red might be what you see as green. You can't get into my head to see how my brain creates something visual out of different wavelengths of radiation. We may all have completely different rainbows in our heads, but we call the  same wavelengths the same thing. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 06:48:31 PM »
These candlesticks were designed , when first made, by Mr Boffo.  Mr J Said also made them at a later date. I think that , probably, my example to the right (photo above)  could be a later version. One key difference... between my two.... is the fact that the join on the stem is covered by the trailed knop (the one on the left , my photo above ) the other, to the right, has the stem join showing. Also the trailed knop has been flattened with wide tongs (one to the left)  !
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 07:35:57 PM »
I would like to revise my previos comment on these candlesticks . The one on the right in this photo is very similar to a dated example from 1972 . Having shown all of these three to John we came to the conlusion that they are all early period Mdina canldlesticks form the early 1970's . Thanks for everthing John !  :)
Mike

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 09:21:47 PM »
They share the same construction as the chalices the difference is essentially in the size of the bowl. Did the chalices change much over time?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 12:18:47 PM »
They went from having flared bowl shaped tops to smaller, more bucket shaped tops, and on those, the knops were often a bit thinner and wider. It was just because the stems were shorter though, a big deep knop wouldn't fit in.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 02:26:47 PM »
 ;D
It is also more flared at the rim than most bucket tops. And has more complex colours than most, which tend to be mostly the deeper teal blue with the ochre streak.
It is huge, but still not as big as the bell chalices.
Possibly something from inbetween? 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand