No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue/green bowl, Typically English c. 1850?  (Read 833 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Blue/green bowl, Typically English c. 1850?
« on: April 08, 2018, 06:18:23 PM »
Seems to have qualities that might put in the the first half of the 19th century.Item specifics: Lead glass, Cut arched panels, Polished pontil, Footring not ground/polished. Height 8.5 cm. Width 11.5.
I have seen alot of photos of this type, not handled much. Any replies much appreciated, thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Blue/green bowl, Typically English c. 1850?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:27:43 PM »
Hi cagney  -  your bowl may well be English c. 1850, but is it really typically English and of that period  -  to the exclusion of other countries?
To my eyes it doesn't appear that different from much coloured glassware that might have originated on the Continental and from the second half C19 .......................    in my ignorance and if I'd been asked to guess, I'd have probably punted for Bohemian.

It's attractive, but are you convinced this colour is known from that period - reds, bristol blue, greens etc., but I'm not entirely convinced that this teal was one of them  -  do you have examples in mind?  -  and good quality glass abounds throughout most periods, not just in the first half of the C19.

As to use - what do you think of the suggestion of a finger bowl - it's about the right size.               Apologies for being picky  -  hope you don't think I'm being unfriendly deliberately, and my opinion only, as usual, so let's hope others will offer something more positive  -  it is a good looking piece. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 10:59:33 PM »
Thanks for your reply Paul.
I am under the impression the Bohemian tradition of the first half of the 19th century would most likely be non lead glass, usually ground polished rim, base.It being lead glass I have a tendency to think America, England, or France.  See a lot of colored flint glass in blues, greens, purple and shades in between attributed to England. Mostly stemware, other pieces bowls, etc.with gilt decor roughly c. 1830   Gilt decor not uncommon Bristol, etc.? French gilt decorated examples seem a bit more busy.
The blue/ green color is known in America c. 1850 usually termed peacock blue or peacock green. Gilt decoration not common , but was done.
Given dimensions I would think probably a finger bowl.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 07:46:10 AM »
Hi - I should also have asked whether the top rim was bevelled or fired polished - the latter being a feature found perhaps more this side of the Channel -  as I'm reading it you're speaking of the foot rim only  -  so how is the top rim finished - I can't see clearly enough partly due to colour but also angle of the pix.
Gilding, as you'll know, comes in two varieties  -  the cold sort which isn't fired and obviously less hard wearing  -  and the other sort that is mixed as a paste/fixative and then fired and lasts a tad longer  .............  you'd imagine it would be easy to tell the difference from the point of view of thickness of gilding.              Perhaps not in all cases though - and then there's age, use or non use - so not easy to be certain, but thickness you'd think would give the game away.               Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to use gilding for reliable dating - it's been a decorative feature for eons.
C19 glass that has been gilded, cheaply, has often lost the gold colour, but the area of decoration can still be seen as darker and with a dull appearance - around rims, feet and parts of the body that once had the pattern.              Think you're right about the French habit of going a bit OTT with their Empire gilding etc.

Suspect you know more about these things than me  -  I did for some time collect finger bowls - date wise ranging from the end of the C18 through to almost mid 20 (Walsh).        Exceptionally rarely did I know the maker, and the odd occasion I did, it was only ever on first half C20 pieces - and have to say I never had a 'peacock' coloured example - it's a great colour.                   W/Fs did a 'peacock' apparently, which was imported via the Wuidart connection which was Belgian based and sold under the Wealdston range of designs  -  but since colours can mean all things to all men, it's an area difficult to get general agreement on, especially viewing the screen only, and the W/Fs version doesn't look quite like this 'peacock' and theirs was a century later anyway.

Quite honestly my opinion is that you may have to live with uncertainty on this one  -  you might try an antiques expert or dealer but I get the feeling that positive information is going to be thin on the ground with this one, but MHO remains that this may not be quite as old as we might wish. :)   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand