No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano... But WHAT is it?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline justjeff

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vintage and art glass, crystal
    • Richmond, VA USA
Murano... But WHAT is it?
« on: April 12, 2018, 07:33:44 PM »
So I know this is Murano based on the sticker (and I can see gold flecks in it which is apparently an indicator?) and I think the shape of the sticker can help me nail down a studio/artist (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but what exactly is this little bowl/dish? It measures about 3.5" across ( almost 9cm) and about 1" tall (2.5 cm). The sticker is on the bottom I assume and the "bowl" part rises to a swell in the middle where the pink coloring meets. Any idea on what to call this?

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Murano... But WHAT is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 06:52:29 AM »
It's Murano but a generic piece based on the numbers we see on the internet. You can look up the label on the top of this page.

Very hard to ID who made it.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline justjeff

• Members
    • Richmond, VA USA
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Any ideas on what this may have been used for? You're saying this specific piece is generic/common? I don't even know what to call it and that's what I'm looking for help on the most.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 04:44:39 PM »
I think the very highly technical term for something like this is a "pin dish".  ;D
It's the sort of thing middle aged (and upwards) folk tend to find handy for storing things that they can't quite bring themselves to put in the bin.
Old kirby grips, rubber bands that are not yet completely perished, the odd tack or drawing pin, a safety pin, a cabochon that has come out of a brooch you've lost but hope to find and stick in again sometime, the odd usb stick and one of the cat's treats.

Actually, I've got tons of them, all over the place. :-[
(That's how I know what the contents are.)
Must be my age! ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 04:46:10 PM »
Ooops. I forgot the buttons. :D
There are always buttons in them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline justjeff

• Members
    • Richmond, VA USA
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 05:10:13 PM »
Lol, thank you chopin-liszt! Now that you say it it makes perfect sense. I'm currently using a mini pot to hold these random small items. Mostly bouncy balls collected from arcades and a stray pin or two.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand