No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Identifying Vases  (Read 910 times)

Offline Tanya

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vases
    • Australia
Help Identifying Vases
« on: April 15, 2018, 09:03:29 PM »
Hi Everyone, I was left our family vases when my grandmother recently passed away.
Can anyone help me identify where they originated and how old they are?
They have been in our family since at least 1900 which is when my great great gran passed them down. My family are descendants of the Tasmanian Aboriginals and Mauri's from New Zealand.
They are very precious to me and I was wondering if I should see if they are worth getting a museum to display and look after them.
Thanks for helping.

Tanya ??? ???

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Help Identifying Vases
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 06:51:09 AM »
Hi, welcome to the board!
Lovely vase, so called "Tango glass", very popular in the 1920s and 30s, and produced by several Bohemian (Czechoslovakian) glassworks. 

According to this experienced collector your vase seems to be a piece made by Loetz >> https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/69670-loetz-tango-enamel--2-bird-of-paradis
Tango glass wasn't introduced before 1913, so the vase was produced a little later than you suggested ;)

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »
Welcome to the board, and what stunningly beautiful glass you have inherited.  :)
Loetz is a very, very good name and you seem to have something very unusual, they truly are worthy of your admiration, beyond the pricelessness of what they mean to you. Enjoy them. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tanya

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vases
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:41:49 PM »
Thank you so very much, this means so much to find out more about them. For the years they have been in the family no one ever knew anything about hem so I cant wait to do more research now. What a fabulous board this is. Thanks Again!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand