No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian? Ruby Cut to Clear Thumbprint or Punty group  (Read 1729 times)

Offline eglass

• Members
Bohemian? Ruby Cut to Clear Thumbprint or Punty group
« on: April 16, 2018, 05:49:08 PM »
Hi folks!  We about tripped over ourselves when we saw this large set - 80+ pieces of cut to clear glass with punty design. First thought is of course Bohemian, but who?

We have bowls, wine goblets, tumblers, almonds, sherbets, champagnes.... not one of them has any markings. The glass is not stained, it's definitely a thin layer of red glass over the clear, then cut through. Most are the circular cut, but the ones on the right in the front are kind of a "conjoined punty" design.

I'd love to know if this style has been attributed to any particular maker or era, if possible.

Many thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline eglass

• Members
Re: Bohemian? Ruby Cut to Clear Thumbprint or Punty group
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 03:58:03 PM »
So no clues where I can research further?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 11:48:53 PM »
Looks 'flashed' to me ( thin coat of red over clear ) Bohemian probably as you say, in my opinion quite recent, we can be a bit slow here but usually come up with an answer  ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 11:56:15 PM »
Keith, thanks :)  I can see that it's an actual layer of red glass over the crystal, some pieces have a darker "pigeon's blood" looking glass, other pieces are lighter in color.  For some reason I thought "flashed" was an applied coating, not glass. 

I do appreciate your message! And yes, it could be more recent rather than antique - I'd just love to be able to pin down a maker, even if it's recent.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand