No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Little Czech art glass vase with applied flower -- ZBS? Krasno? Skrdlovice?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hello all,

I've got a wonderfully funky little mottled art glass vase with an applied flower which I'm hoping someone can help me identify.  It's Czech, but I don't know if it's ZBS or possibly Krasno, or maybe even non-pattern-book Skrdlovice.

The vase is 10cm tall and weighs 374g.  Though it's dainty-looking, it's actually a very solid, thick piece. 

The pink frill at the top is applied, as is the base.  Ah, and in case anyone was wondering, no reaction under UV light.

I'm thinking it's ZBS though I haven't been able to find another vase like it.  I did, however, see a thermometer with a flower which had some similarities.

Thank you for looking,
Anik

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
I can see why you like it ;)

As the glass is mottled and not bubbly, I would rather think ZBS than Skrdlovice or Krasno.
The wavy shape of the frill at the top seems rather typical for ZBS, too.

Here is a link to a 1955 ZBS catalogue an Pamela's Glasmusterbuch site, I see some similarities to your vase: >> Link

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hi Michael  :)

Yes, I do see strong similarities (especially with the frilly top), however, I looked at the ZBS catalogues earlier, as well as, all the 40s to 60s CGR, Tvar, and Sklo a Keramika, but did not come across a vase like mine.  The Brychta book on Jindrich's Ceskoslovenske Sklo website has a vase which he made in the 1930s with applied flowers, but no applied top or base.

The underside of the base on my vase is interesting in that it has very subtle rings.  I've looked at all my figural ZBS pieces of the same type (ranging from the late 40s and newer), and none have rings.  The larger pieces have got a smooth round indent (from a pontil) and the smaller ones have got flat bottoms with a wavy pattern to the glass.  On the other hand, my Skrdlovice tree has also got subtle rings.

I've been looking like mad for the link to the ZBS exhibition which Jindrich once had on his site with hopes that I could see a similar enough vase somewhere among the pieces to satisfy a ZBS attribution, but it seems the link is gone.  :(    Michael, would you happen to have a link to that album saved?

I really appreciate all your help!
Anik

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Hi Anik,
sorry, I have never saved any links on Jindrich's site :(
BTW, I am so glad and thankful that he has restored the links to his google picture galleries (former picasa), so we have again access to his marvellous research.

I would attribute your piece to ZBS mainly for the transparent mottled glass, the shape of the applied top, and the rather vivid colours, all features I would associate with ZBS and not with the other companies mentioned. Particularly the thermometers have a very similar appearance to your lovely little vase... (here is mine, with applied fish; and a plain mottled ashtray)

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Thank you, Michael...  The ZBS thermometers, ashtrays and comical figurines are fantastic, aren't they?  I've got a few in my collection and the little vase does share quite a few of their features.  Still, I wish I could find definite proof that it is ZBS. 

Here are some of mine  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :) Your little vase is quite, quite wonderful. I don't know enough to be able to tell different Czech makers and styles from each other really, but my first impression was of something strongly related to the Roubieck's slightly fantastical works.  8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Thank you, Sue!   I also think it's quite, quite wonderful  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia