No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut and engraved cranberry vase - ID = železnobrodské sklo  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Cut and engraved cranberry vase - ID = železnobrodské sklo
« on: August 07, 2006, 07:55:04 PM »
This dear little vase arrived today - much smaller than I expected, only 7 cm tall and about 6 cm diameter. One of those ebay impulse buys where you don't take it all in. :oops:

It's lovely and a beautiful cranberry colour. Inverted teardrop shape polished cuts with vertical and horizontal/sloped engraving. Ground and polished top and base. Very thck glass - 6 mm. And a signature JC, JG? It's not new, too much base wear. Click to zoom.

Any ideas anybody please?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Cut and engraved cranberry cutie Scandi?, Czech?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 07:20:37 AM »
I have the same in citrine yellow with engraved Chinoiserie in a medallion. I have it tentatively put down as Moser because of the colour and the quality - but of course it could be one of the other makers. In any case, Czech, probably 1930 - 1950s.  No idea of the initials on the base of your vase - they do not really look as if it was the manufacturer who put them there; there are certainly no markings on mine. If it was the maker, then Josef Riedel jumps to mind.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 12:11:42 PM »
Thanks Ivo

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 06:43:44 AM »
How about Johansfors Glassbruk? The sig fits (although poorly applied), the style seems as though it might suit some of the first half 20th century stuff, but the question is did they always number their glass?
(TC & D  :D )

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 08:54:58 AM »
2 different rare earth colours (citrine and rosalith) and panel cutting IMHO point to Czechoslovakia not Sweden.  The scribble on the bottom may not be original - it does not seem to be diamond point but rotary, and is all over the place soe it does not match the quality of the piece....  

THIS   is the citrine in question; CLICK HERE to see a typican panel cut Moser vase from the 30s; and click
HERE for a picture of two ZBS pieces showing the same colour combo. The Rosalith or Royalith is Neodymium based, by the way, and should shift to pale blue under artificial light.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 11:29:14 AM »
Hmm, lovely little vases, but I don't think mine colour shifts under fluorescent light. I'll check again tonight

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 01:37:38 PM »
No, definitely no colour change under fluorescent light :?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 01:41:32 PM »
OK so no neodymium.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 02:13:05 PM »
Found it  :D  :D železnobrodské sklo, c. 1965. There's some lovely stuff on this site http://www.designhandlung.de/sites/start.html

http://www.designhandlung.de/pics/g62.jpg

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Cut and engraved cranberry cutie Scandi?, Czech?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 08:25:51 PM »
After reading the neodymium dolphin discussion, would the colour of this be Royalit?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand