No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Very large vase - Riihimäen Lasi Oy - A. Okkolin '46  (Read 2592 times)

Offline acabitto

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Very large vase - Riihimäen Lasi Oy - A. Okkolin '46
« on: May 02, 2018, 01:52:19 AM »
Wondering if anyone has seen this piece or something similar before - or has any more information about this piece. It is signed Riihimäen Lasi Oy - A. Okkolin '46 - So I know it came out of the Riihimäki glass factory in Finland - and signed/designed by Aimo Okkolin. It's realtively huge(apple for scale) - almost 15" tall(about 37cm), 9" in diameter at the widest point, the glass is an inch thick at the rim. Weighs 17 pounds (7.7 kilos)! Has cut rose decoration all around. I can't find anything like it online so I don't think it was a regular production piece. Many thanks for any help or information.

Offline acabitto

• Members
    • United States
Re: Very large vase - Riihimäen Lasi Oy - A. Okkolin '46
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 01:56:46 AM »
A few more pics:

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 07:28:09 PM »
Stunning piece of glass, I think you are right about it not being a production piece.
When i have been in Finland i have seen a Finnish glass museum book which features Aimo Okkolin's productions.
After many years looking i have never seen this book for sale.
In that book it mentions special commisions and work for the Finnish goverment to be given as gifts. Maybe your piece falls into that catorgry.
You can contact the Finnish glass museum they may have some input.
Not much help but good luck with your search.
Tim

Offline acabitto

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 02:09:15 AM »
Stunning piece of glass, I think you are right about it not being a production piece.
When i have been in Finland i have seen a Finnish glass museum book which features Aimo Okkolin's productions.
After many years looking i have never seen this book for sale.
In that book it mentions special commisions and work for the Finnish goverment to be given as gifts. Maybe your piece falls into that catorgry.
You can contact the Finnish glass museum they may have some input.
Not much help but good luck with your search.
Tim

Thank you very much Tim. I'm hoping one day to find out more about it. I emailed the Finnish glass museum yesterday - hopefully I'll hear something from them. I appreciate you chiming in.

Offline acabitto

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 03:28:57 AM »
Excited to say that I got a great reply from the Finnish museum of glass. I could try to summarize but I'll just copy their reply here...

Hello,

In the collection of the Finnish Glass Museum we have the same shape and the same colour vase than yours. Our vase does not have any flower pattern but it has cut facets. Our vase does not have any signature. We have got the vase in 1967 from Riihimäen Lasi Oy.

As indicated by the signature of your vase the manufacturer is Riihimäen Lasi Oy (=Riihimäki glass factory) and the decoration has cut by Aimo Okkolin in 1946.

We do not know if Aimo Okkolin has designed the flower pattern by himself but we know that he has cut it. We do not know who has designed the shape of the vase.

I could not find the model of the vase from Riihimäki catalogs. So the vase is not the serial production of Riihimäki but some special work.

I sent the photo of your vase to Aimo Okkolin´s daughter Anita Elomaa who lives here in Riihimäki. Anita could only say that her father has cut the decoration of the vase. She did not know more.

Aimo Okkolin was very skillful glass cutter and engraver later also glass designer. Attached some information about him from the book: The Bulletin of the Finnish Glass Museum GLASS RESEARCH XV (2004) Lumpeenkukka Aimo Okkolin, Suomen lasimuseo, Riihimäki 2004.

Mod: For clarity that it is all the text quoted, it is now in a "Quote Box" - and double spacing changed to single.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
Great to hear you got such a good reply from the Finnish glass museum.
Still a bit more digging to be done.
Do you know the type of flower in the cut design?. I was thinking about the state flowers of each of the united states(this may be way off).
Good luck,
Tim

Offline acabitto

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 03:27:05 PM »
Great to hear you got such a good reply from the Finnish glass museum.
Still a bit more digging to be done.
Do you know the type of flower in the cut design?. I was thinking about the state flowers of each of the united states(this may be way off).
Good luck,
Tim

I think they are roses :) Interestingly, the museum also sent me several PDF pages from a publication about the history of Aimo Okkolin at Riihimäen. In the publication it mentions that there was an glass engraving design competition at Iittala in 1946, as well as a "Nordic applied art exhibition" in Stockholm, where some of Okkolin's engraving work was exhibited, although my piece can't be directly linked to either - I assume it's possible it was made for one of those.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand