No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19th French Blue Opaline & Gilt Vases - ID Please ?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline stubbsywubsy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Oddities, Early Glass
    • United Kingdom
19th French Blue Opaline & Gilt Vases - ID Please ?
« on: May 07, 2018, 05:07:39 PM »
Hello everyone
i have these  Beautiful Blue Opaline Glass and Gilt 19th century Gilt vases, i was hoping somebody may recognise the Shape and ID them, i think they are likely to be Baccarat but being unmarked its a Job to tell, in Person they are of the Highest quality a real Joy to handle.

kind regards Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: 19th French Blue Opaline & Gilt Vases - ID Please ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »
Lovely colour.  Is it possible to see a close up of the gilding please?

Thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: 19th French Blue Opaline & Gilt Vases - ID Please ?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 11:56:46 PM »
H Steven,

For comparison, and perhaps to help with ID options (although I do not actually know the ID), I am showing a frosted green opaline vase that is a very close match to the shape of yours. Mine has a slightly longer stem than yours and the fold of the rim may differ in size too.

Dimensions are:
Height 24,5 cm (9 5/8 inch)
Rim diameter 8,4 cm (3 5/16 inch)
Body Shoulder diameter 7,3 cm (2 7/8 inch)
Foot diameter 7,2 cm (2 7/8 inch)
Unfortunately these dimensions do not suggest to me a preference for English / American or Continental Europe.

The satin frosting covers all of the outer parts. The interior of the rim from the point of moving downwards and the whole underside of the foot are not frosted. The foot has a small remnant of a pontil mark - the use of the pontil rod being needed for the shaping of the rim.

The image below shows the vase in its natural colour (on my screen it is a close match to the item in daylight ) and under mains powered long wave UV light (blacklight), indicating a "uranium glow".

The closest I have been to a possible ID within the GMB was in a 2017 thread: French Green Opaline Vases - ?Baccarat?, where Bohemian, rather than French, was suggested by readers. The colour of that vase differs from mine but the satin outer finish and the look of the underside of the foot are broadly similar to my vase.

My photo was taken in 2012 and was one of several as if I intended to open up a thread ... but I have not found my pics anywhere in the GMB or the Glass Gallery.

But as I said, perhaps this and the one in the link above might help with an ID.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand