No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with China Man Glass Figure Textured finish  (Read 3511 times)

Offline wiggy131

• Members
Help with China Man Glass Figure Textured finish
« on: May 16, 2019, 08:18:14 PM »

Can anyone recognise this signature scratched into the base. The glass has a rough texture added also, which is unusual to me. Would be most grateful for any help!
Best Wishes
Vickie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Help with China Man Glass Figure Textured finish
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:46:33 PM »
I would try rubbing over the signature with something dark like coco powder.......might bring it up enough to read it.

Good luck
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 06:52:44 AM »
Maybe Tagliapietra, could be Lino or Alessandro, Andrea...

Looks like a Scavo finish, without the signature would have said Cenedese a possibility.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »
I couldn't work out the finish.
I don't think it's corroso, it does look more as if something was applied?

I've got a little signed posy vase with something that looks very similar, almost like sand. It produces a shiney iridesence in-between the dull bits. It's very boring and beige, apart from the strange surface, what appears to be a proper signature, a finished (again odd, possibly heat finished) pontil scar and date. I always meant to post it here to find out about the very strange surface texture. It feels like the fine side of an emery board!

Unfortunately, I'm unable to deal with pics just now. The pc died. I can't work the new one and I've lost my basic version of paint shop pro. I haven't got any files, documents, folders or tinkerbells or whatever things are called now, on this.

What exactly, is scavo, John? I don't think I know. I know the word, but not what it means.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 05:32:04 PM »
Think scavo means excavated - so a finish that resembles buried glass that has been dug up. Corroso is 'corroded' and an acid treatment, think you might be right, Corroso may well be accurate here.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 05:39:11 PM »
Thanks!  :)

My posy might be scavo, then. There are definitely tiny shiney, rainbow mirrory bits, inbetween the rough bits.
But I don't think the Chinese person sculpture is corroso. The glass forms odd, irregular shapes on the surface but are integral to the body.
This has something added, I think. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline wiggy131

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 06:56:36 PM »
Thank you everyone for your help on the Chinese figure, after reading all your advice, I'm sure it is Andrea Tagliapietra, After seeing someone else ask on Glass Messages also about a Mexican figure in the similar style and studied the signature on google images!
Its a great piece and thank you for helping me ID it!
Best Wishes
Vickie

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 07:21:47 PM »
I'd really like to get what sort of texture it has on it sorted out.
Can you help by describing it for us?
My posy, which we are starting to think could be scavo has dark patches amongst the paler sandy bits. Inbetween the texture additions, on the surface of the glass, there are shiney mirrory bits - like glass which has been buried.

If your Chinese Person is corroso, that's something rather special you would want to know about, but sorry, i don't think it is.

Do you think it could be scavo?
I'm really sorry I can't post pics.

I've done a search and found some scavo Murano Chinese figurines in an auction, but there is, unfortunately, no evidence of any correct attribution.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/en-gb/item/68216459_vintage-murano-scavo-glass-chinoiserie-sculptures

and a search for corroso gave me this example of Murano (scroll down, there are good close-up details of the surface.)

https://www.wow.gallery/Glass/filter/vases/Glass-Vase-Corroso-by-Renzo-Burchiellaro-1960-1
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand