No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fox hunting scene paperweight help please.  (Read 2415 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Fox hunting scene paperweight help please.
« on: June 16, 2018, 01:34:59 PM »
Any thought's on this one would be good, it has a crack through the middle which seems to have been cased as it only goes 2/3rds through.

heavy base wear and measures 3 1/4 inches in diameter by 2 1/4 inches in height.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
Re: Fox hunting scene paperweight help please.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 04:34:46 PM »
Hi
It appears to be a Ysart bros weight by the canes and roughly ground out pontil mark, but I've never seen one with a scene like this in person or in print/on line. Its a real shame about the damage, its quite possibly a one off.

Nick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »
Thanks nick, i don't see it as damage just as made, there are no marks on it at all to indicate a knock, if you look at the base the crack is not there in the pontil, probably a cooling crack,  if it is ysart i'm thrilled to bits. Thank you for replying i really appreciate it.
Chris Parry

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »
Guess who picked up this weight the other day and put it back ?  ::)

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 05:25:32 PM »
Hi Chris,

Yes its an annealing crack, I have a few which like yours are cracked internally but don't reach the weights suface, sometimes they can occur quite some time after they were made otherwise they probably would have been destroyed straight away.

I do wonder if this was made by Salvador, we'll await Kevin's expert eye, he has more experience than most in this area.

Nick

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 05:54:42 PM »
4 quid keith? come on.

I also think if you have no money and have made something anything for it is better than throwing it away, we come from a generation that chucks stuff out, my grandparents were skint and anything would have been reused no matter if it had a crack they would not have destoyed anything if it had any value.

There was a ysart perfume that was cracked to pieces recently on ebay not through damage, my best guess is and i'm not Scottish glass expert but they were using basic methods of making glass, ie a drafty shed?

Chris Parry

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 07:13:57 PM »
Just didn't like it enough, been racking my brains to remember where it was !

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 08:08:12 PM »
Bridgenorth, the mill on a top shelf mid floor.

Love it got a real early primative look to it.
Chris Parry

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 05:03:19 PM »
I do wonder if this was made by Salvador, we'll await Kevin's expert eye, he has more experience than most in this area.

Nick

I have seen a coupkle of other weights with very similar spotted dogs. One of those, illustrated in Bob Hall's 2001 book World Papperweights: Millefiori & Lampwork,  has three dogs around a lamppost with one "doing what dogs do". The other, sadly, I cannot recall the detail for right now - it got lost somewhere in one my "unfinished work" folders.

As for the hunter on a horse, I have never seen another but Salvador Ysart is usually credited with these sort of "one-offs" - which can then  later pop up in other weights.

The one in Bob's book was said to be by Paul Ysart but I have always doubted that. The one shown here seems to be consisitent with work from the Ysart Brothers period of Vasart. It might even be a pre-war wight but I think the base finish would have been better if it was.

Could it be early Vasart Ltd (1956 - 1964)? Might be possible - would need the usual shortwave uv check, or specific gravity measurement, to see if it has a lead-based dome.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
Not sure if this has any bearing on the situation at all, but huntsmen and the hunt seemed to have been quite topical in glass in the 1930s. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand