No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: British glass technology transfer to South Africa  (Read 843 times)

Offline Sally

• Members
British glass technology transfer to South Africa
« on: June 22, 2018, 07:07:32 PM »
Hi,
(I really don't know where to post this on Glass Messages... you don't have a section about South Africa! Please move it to a better section if necessary?)
Can anyone tell me when modern glassmaking started in South Africa? I cannot find anything about it anywhere. The chances are good, I think, that it may have been British technology that was taken there, as happened in other places in the world, eg Australia, Japan (my area of study www.hadenheritage.co.uk). Surely some modest scale manufacturing was set up there? No doubt mass importing from Britain took place, but surely somebody started up making it there in the 19th century? Even if only bottles/flat glass.
I will be visiting the Eastern Cape in a few weeks, and would like to find out in advance if there are any museum collections there, of 19th century glass (British or South African). I see there's one well north of Durban, that's too far. Thank you!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: British glass technology transfer to South Africa
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 11:45:29 AM »
In the 1919 Journal of Glass Technology there are two hits, might provide a research lead?

C. A. Chidell, Messrs. South African Breweries, Ltd., 8, 9, and 10 Gt. St. Helens, London, E.G. 3.

Messrs. South African Glass Works, Ltd., Johannesburg.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand