No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bizantino Murano  (Read 1805 times)

Offline silver stain

• Members
    • Murano glass
    • Italy
Bizantino Murano
« on: June 27, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »
In Italy we describe these glass item as "Bizantino" , obviously made with zanfirico / reticello, retorti, silver leaf, millefiori ...I found on web ...." tutti frutti", " The rest of the day"...could be exactly the same type of work ?  Thanks for sharing information  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Bizantino Murano
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 02:22:08 PM »
These are known as "tutti fruitti", (or with various other spellings).
The expression "rest of the day" or "end of day" is an old and mistaken term. There is no such thing as "end of day glass".
It was based on the wrong assumption that ovens that heat the molten glass get turned off for the night, and cool down, so somebody decided that the workers would "use up" what was melted first.

But this is not the case. The ovens need to be so hot that it is not worth turning them off, only to have to heat them up again the next day.

It is  a term sometimes used to describe "Spatter glass", which is glass decorated with blobs of different colours all over - not nearly as complicated as your lovely tutti fruitti things.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Bizantino Murano
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 03:19:44 AM »
I particularly like the vase on the left. Envy - -
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia