No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Christmas Tree Paperweights Caithness Glass and not Caithness Glass  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
The first paperweight shown (first four images) is signed on the under-side Caithness Scotland The Christmas Carol with a polished base with an indented (polished) pontil mark. This has engraved figures of two carol singers by a lamp-post or lantern on the smaller of the two flat windows. The internal decoration has a Christmas tree on snowy ground with snow flakes falling around it. The Christmas tree has glitter through it. I have seen a boxed version of this weight which describes it as by Sarah Paterson and as a limited edition of 30 dating to 2009. This is not numbered and I think it will have been a second. It measures 4 1/4ins high x around 3 1/4ins at its widest, weighing 868g. The second weight (three images in my reply to the opening post) is one I had asked here for thoughts on previously as it looked like it could be Caithness to me. Input from KevinH however was that this second weight is Chinese as he had images of it in a Chinese imports catalogue. The second weight is polished flat to the base, and weighs just over 1.12kg, measuring 4 1/2ins high and around 3 3/4ins at its widest. Just posting this for information and as a warning that the Chinese weight with its polished base and similar shape to some Caithness weights is definitely not Caithness.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Alsretro

• Members
    • Scotland
    • My Ebay items
Re: Christmas Tree Paperweights Caithness Glass and not Caithness Glass
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 06:41:26 PM »
...and images of the weight identified by KevinH as Chinese.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Christmas Tree Paperweights Caithness Glass and not Caithness Glass
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 07:34:25 PM »
Thanks for putting this all together to illustrate things properly. 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand