No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Newby Art Glass Fish - Murano?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline justjeff

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vintage and art glass, crystal
    • Richmond, VA USA
Newby Art Glass Fish - Murano?
« on: July 30, 2018, 03:17:40 AM »
So one of the few things I have read about id'ing Murano glass is that they often use small gold flakes in the coloring. This fish appears to be gold where the green flows down toward the head. There is no signature or sticker. Is there any really good way to be able to ID this? The quality seems a little rough for Murano but as I said, I'm pretty new to glass collecting and ID'ing. Thanks for any help!

Jeff

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline JRo

• Members
    • scandinavian, czech, italian
    • Canada
Re: Newby Art Glass Fish - Murano?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 12:57:10 PM »
Hi there... sorry to say but if the quality isn't there, it is most likely a knock off.  There are many low quality pieces out there that get mistakenly attributed to Murano as many Murano pieces are not signed.  From the pictures, I'd say it is a knock off or imitation but you can take it to a local dealer for a second opinion or wait for one here.

If the techniques used looks sloppy and it isn't signed...you are taking a risk buying it.  Over time, you'll find that as hold quality glass in your hands, you'll realize the difference so be kind to yourself at this stage.  It can take years and we all still make mistakes even after years of buying.  Just be careful if you are spending a good bit of coin that it is a quality piece.  Take risks on the cheap finds.

All the best to you and happy hunting!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline The Glass Staircase

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 05:17:13 PM »
https://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/   looks like it could be a leaping fish imported by JIC

Offline justjeff

• Members
    • Richmond, VA USA
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 05:39:24 AM »
Hi there... sorry to say but if the quality isn't there, it is most likely a knock off.  There are many low quality pieces out there that get mistakenly attributed to Murano as many Murano pieces are not signed.  From the pictures, I'd say it is a knock off or imitation but you can take it to a local dealer for a second opinion or wait for one here.

If the techniques used looks sloppy and it isn't signed...you are taking a risk buying it.  Over time, you'll find that as hold quality glass in your hands, you'll realize the difference so be kind to yourself at this stage.  It can take years and we all still make mistakes even after years of buying.  Just be careful if you are spending a good bit of coin that it is a quality piece.  Take risks on the cheap finds.

All the best to you and happy hunting!

Thanks so much for the reply. Yeah I've been at it a little over a year after the company I worked for shut down. Doing a hodgepodge of things to make ends meet but hope to be able to build on treasure hunting for the long haul. Especially looking forward to the part where I can keep some of the treasures! My finds are generally all from thrift stores so I'm not breaking the bank :) And you're right, just because it's "art" glass doesn't mean it's good art glass. I'll definitely go with my instincts a little more down the road.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline justjeff

• Members
    • Richmond, VA USA
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 05:43:30 AM »
https://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/   looks like it could be a leaping fish imported by JIC

Hey I really appreciate the link. The base of my fish is definitely similar to these. I'll do a little more research on Jordan Import Co. to see if mine pops up. Thank you again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand