No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors decanter with additional engraving  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Suzeb50

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Netherlands
Orrefors decanter with additional engraving
« on: August 03, 2018, 08:19:54 AM »
I am trying to research a recently purchased decanter made by Orrefors, Sweden.
It is etched on the base ‘Orrefors H 2493/111’ from which I would assume that Edvard Hald was the designer (H) and the decanter manufactured in 1941 (2493).
I have however come across Internet auction listing this same design stating that it was made in the 1930’s.
What makes it unusual, however, is the incredibly fine engraving of vine leaves and a bunch of grapes on one of the larger faces of the decanter.
Underneath the ‘Orrefors’ engraving I can read a second and finer engraving ‘Patrick Heriz-Smith 76’
Am I correct in believing that Patrick Heriz-Smith (born 1920 - died 2011) may have taken an older Orrefors decanter model and put his own engraving on it?
I haven’t finished my research into this glass engraver, artist and teacher (husband of the artist Audrey Pilkington and father of sculptor Bridget Heriz) but have discovered he gave lessons in glass engraving and was very well respected in this field.
I have attached the best photo I have of his engraving on this decanter which has joined an ever expanding collection of Orrefors, Wedgwood and Dartington decanters!
I would be grateful for any information you may have relating to this decanter and if you can confirm that my assumptions are correct.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Orrefors decanter with additional engraving
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 04:23:50 AM »
Entirely possible. I know of several engravers who use blanks from big name glassworks. Could you add a photo of the signature so we can see how it looks please?

Oh and welcome to the board. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Suzeb50

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 05:34:20 AM »
Thanks for the fast reply or at least confirmation of my own thoughts.
The attachment is about the best I can do with the signature of Patrick Heriz-Smith 76.
It looks as though he prefers to use a very thin etching tool to sign his name (I've seen similar on other pieces he has engraved)
Once question not answered - the date of the original Orrefors piece.... 1930's as some would suggest or  1941as www.great-glass.co.uk suggests in their page about Orrefors identification notes?

And thanks for the welcome - I'm just an amateur collector who adores most 'things' glass and Scandinavian glass in particular. Blame my husband for that since he bought my first piece of Orrefors nearly 40 years ago not to mention a vase designed by Sven Palmqvist which, although sadly water corroded inside, has been regularly used for over 50 years to hold bunches of fresia's! (O.P. 2796.141.D.L. etched underneath the vase - I still have to research that to find the date!)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 07:27:32 PM »
Glass is addictive! :)  Can't help with the date but am sure someone else will be able to offer thoughts. Orrefors isn't my area. :'(
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand