No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lovely Mdina? iridescent turned over rim bowl.  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
Re: Lovely Mdina? iridescent turned over rim bowl.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »
Blue and White Swirls is my suspicion but looking at the base will be instant varification. Made only between 1973-74 they are scarce, rarer than the 'Seaward' pattern. I would expect a flame logo on this but a coachbolt is possible.

If we are correct, quite likely as I'm not aware of anything else remotely like this being made, they are based on the shape of the verdala bowls at Mdina, a fair amount were made. Blue and White swirls was never actually named and is more a decriptive name given to it. Never going into general production it is considered an experimnetal range and in terms of rarity its one of the rarest patterns to find, particulalry in early IoWSG.

This bowl would be worth a fair amount more than the Mdina bowl sadly, IoWSG is exceptionally well collected and I have no issues selling out of pieces just like this. I would absolutely agree with Sue, I'd keep the Mdina in a heartbeat and sell the IoW if that is indeed what it is. It should fetch a higher price and with the ever present demand for early and rare IoW pieces I can't see you having trouble with interest in it. The Mdina will look better and gain value, the IoW will like remain steady and not rise or fall too much.

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 10:48:26 AM »
 :)
Sorry my reply has come so long after yours i have been tied up at home  ::).... ::)
Really didn't expect to get so much insight from the listing your very helpful i have been trying recently to amass a good collection once again as i sold a great collection a few years ago just general glass of all kind's as i got hit by the bug ;D Have regretted doing it so i am looking again and finding some great thing's i am also thinking of jacking my day job in and having a go full time as a dealer in Antiques so i may hold off selling anything right now, I am finding it hard trying to work out whether to have an Ebay shop and do some fairs or have a dedicated website and do fairs i cant decide if the costs for domain names etc and running the site would pay dividends as i have not done it before the idea is very attractive as i love Antiques i cant imagine having the what am i doing here (In Work) feeling quite as much...I have had quite good results selling some higher end pieces through some top online auctions and independent sellers however the extra sale price gets swallowed up by fee's but i guess that's how they make there money at the moment i guess i am trying to work out the direction to take if anybody has any experience and could suggest any idea's or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Your right it is an IOW bowl coach bolt base.
Regards thanks

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »
I know what you mean! Given the chance I’d collect anything and everything but I must stick to just Mdina otherwise there will be no space left!

In regards to your desire to start up a business, I personally have a full time job and just do fairs throughout the year. Not vary many, usually 0-3 per month. I’ve often considered doing it full time but it’s difficult. Not in the sense that selling is hard, selling what I do it flies off the stall sometimes! But actually finding items for the right price or indeed finding them is the issue. More often than not my best buys tend to be actually at antiques fairs. Online there are too many people with the same idea and collectors willing to pay more because it’s to keep.its a struggle.

Selling on ebay is something I do for very rare items, they sometimes achieve a price I can only dream of. I had an IOW charger in the seaward pattern with a broken pontil, as rare as they can be. That sold for a smidge under 800 and I wouldn’t ever have gotten that at a fair. Online is good for rarities not so much for run of the mill stuff. Plus there is ebay and PayPal fees!

Anyway back to the subject at hand! That is indeed a coachbolt pontil for IOWSG, dating only to 1973. So you have one of the earliest examples of the pattern. You’re looking at between 100-150 for that, and I’d be looking for the higher range of that for something like you have.

If you happen to be at Ardingly, Detling or the Ickworth glass fair next month I shall be selling at all of them, should you wish to ask anything or potentially trade pieces for whatever you’d like to sell I’d be happy to give you a reasonable offer!

All the best.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »
I think a Verdala shape for a blue and white swirls piece is a bit unusual. Normally, this colourway is found in large chargers, squat (rectangular-ish) pots with flared rims, bigger square-profiled perfume bottles or attenuated bottles.
The Verdala shape is found on small Aurene plates, and that's normally the only time you'll find it in IoWSG.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »
A couple of general points, Blue and White Swirls gets described as experimental (presumably via Mark Hill's book), an odd description to my mind when it is found in all the standard shapes in production at the time. A range that was made for a year or more does not sound experimental to me, short lived would fit the bill though.

IoWSG Verdalas were made in a much smaller size than those at Mdina (to help differentiate them) and probably in all the standard colours in use at the time. My guess is they stopped using the shape maybe around 1974 or 5 (possibly before the introduction of Pink and Blue Swirls), they can be found in Seaward, Aurene and as here Blue and White, I reckon they exist in Tortoiseshell and Pink swirls, less likely perhaps for Orange Swirls but inside outs and attenuated bottles can be found in orange swirls so why not Verdalas?

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
I've just never seen any IoWSG Verdala shapes other than Aurene ones. :-[
But I haven't paid nearly as much attention to any of the short-lived, (so-called) swirl ranges as you did, John. I only ever ended up with the odd bit of blue and pink because I'd found it cheap in charity shops, they were never deliberate purchases.
I bow to your vastly superior experience in this matter. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 06:30:15 PM »
I think the term experimental in this regard points to the colourway not being in general production and therefore in much smaller numbers and being unnamed. I would agree short-lived to be a much more apt description. However one must not assume that just because it was made for a year or two doesn't mean it was made every day, every week or even every month. Simply by having a coachbolt on one example and a flame pontil on the other people assume it was made for a year, all it would actually take is 2 pieces of glass stamped a year apart. But the point still remains, it's not experimental in the way I percieve the meaning of the word.

They were produced in pink swirls, you'll see an example on the IoW wikidot website under unnamed/ experimentals section. They too also describe the range as experimental.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 08:31:19 AM »
I tend to think that I see slightly more seaward than blue and white, and more blue and white than pink swirls (not to be confused with pink and blue swirls), orange swirls being genuinely rare. I would assume that is a result of the numbers produced rather than the length of time those items were produced over. Given that there were various ranges produced along with all the sundry items it is apparent that a single colour would not be in continuous production.

Two otherwise similar items, one with a coach bolt and one with a flame mark could in theory have been made a day apart as opposed to a year. As the information was not recorded at the time all of this is somewhat fuzzy, we don't have cast iron information and dates are vague.

Re the Verdalas, anyone have one in Tortoiseshell or Pink and Blue Swirls?

Just as examples for this thread, an aurene verdala and another in seaward that is signed, sorry neither the best of photos.

Offline AndyD

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 07:50:00 PM »
I thought I would show this recently bought everted rim bowl as it has so many bubbles. I have a couple of others but have not seen any others with so many bubbles. Can anyone tell me how the bubbles are added and if they make it from a particular time period.

Thanks,    Andy

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
Can anyone tell me how the bubbles are added and if they make it from a particular time period.

Thanks,    Andy

These are Whitefriars random bubble pieces.........I was once told by their chemist
how the batch of glass was made. I think washing soda was added but I could be wrong !
Maybe the Boffo's were involved ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand