No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina green button top vase.  (Read 3947 times)

Offline AndyD

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
Mdina green button top vase.
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:16:06 AM »
I wondered if anyone could tell me if this bottle green Mdina vase might be an experimental colour. I've not seen it before.

The dark spots are mostly bubbles and when turned in light seem to disappear. It's not signed but the button rim would suggest it being an early piece.

Thanks

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
Re: Mdina green button top vase.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
Looks circa 1969-70 to me, so certainly early. Not sure if I’d class it as experimental but more unusual than the blue/ green and amethyst ones.

Colours vary through different quantities of compounds mixing with others so perhaps it was an experiment in that regard. Otherwise the shape appears normal.

Lovely piece though!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
Have a very careful look at the base and turn it around in the light. See if it is polished completely flat, or if it has a sort of flat batutto effect.
I would suspect this is MDG, and an unusual shape for them, especially with a button rim, given Boffo was perfectly able to make lovely fine slim flanges. But he was training others at the time. If the base has the flattish batutto effect, it's MDG.
Mdina didn't have any green glass, early on, as far as I know. And I've looked.  ;D

Mark's book says there is, but that is because green MDG had been seen but not identified as MDG, because we hadn't discovered it existed then. The only time green does appear in Mdina, to my knowledge, is when a swathe of clear amber results from silver reactions in a casing over a teal gather.

This is the right shade of green for MDG. (Malta Decorative Glass)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 01:04:03 PM »
I personally wouldn’t say MDG, never seen them imitate a sidestripe before. Button tops were Michael’s choice of finish until the Boffos taught him how to finish with wider flanges.

They certainly did have green, I have an experimental tricorn bowl completely in pastel green wth lots and lots of bubbles. Bought from Artius Glass a couple of years back  and verified by Tim as Michael’s work at Mdina.

Also not aware of MDG actively using Silver Chloride either, happy to be proven wrong though.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 01:25:39 PM »
They imitated many Mdina shapes - I have a green tricorn bowl, I've had goblets and a chalice (without the strappy knop).
I'd be interested in seeing your green bit.  I have been on the lookout for anything green that was before Said introduced the bought in colours and green appeared then in the splodgy stuff.
But i think the base finish on this side-stripe would be the decider.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »
I’ve seen a lot of MDG, got a few bits for sale as it happens but never seen a sidestripe one, or indeed a piece with a button top like this. I believe I posted it some time ago on another topic. I’ll have to post it on here when I’m home. It’s very large and very heavy.

I agree, the base finish will be the decider, and intriguing piece whatever the outcome!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »
I had a large collection of MDG before we knew what it was. I'd just assumed it was Mdina, but I was collecting early, nothing much was known or written about it then. I bit my nails waiting for Jackson's 20th century factory glass to be printed just to get the wee bit in that.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline AndyD

• Members
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 02:41:59 PM »
I have some MDG and have sold a few pieces so am aware of the base finish you mean. This one has a flat polished base and has some faint blue in the top of the rim. I'm sure it's a Mdina piece. I will add a couple of images later.

Thanks

Offline AndyD

• Members
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
Image of the base and rim.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »
Well that is the first bit of true green early Mdina I've seen. (Unless it was made at a later date, but it's clear green, not the opaque of the splodgy stuff, so that's unlikely.)
The blue arises from silver ions in the casing - it's the "electric-blue cloudy" bit. :)
Never say never! ;D
However, never saying never also means we can't rule out MDG managing a flat base. ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand