No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Liskeard Glass - Background & History  (Read 11116 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Liskeard Glass - Background & History
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 11:54:53 AM »
When sellers's make such statements it is always worth asking where they go it from. Nine times out of ten you get a throwaway response but the other time you can really learn something and more.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 03:32:10 PM »
Dear Sue

Crumbs.  I didn't think they sold for that much, I have four LG knobbly style vases/dishes.  Yippee!  :lol:

Incidently, <sorry it's a bit off topic>  isn't it funny how Ebay seems to have 'crazes' on certain items for a while? I recently sold a lovely condition Murano geometric 8" vase, blue, cased in yellow then clear, for a measly £21!  A couple of months ago that would have made £40.    :cry:  

I noticed those glass clowns prices went through the roof too.  I'm not planning to buy one, but can anyone tell me about the much vaunted 'scorpion marks' they sometimes mention?  Just out of curiousity.  Honest!

xxx  Max
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 09:04:26 AM »
I have asked Liam to provide some history to get the facts corrected.

www.merlinglass.co.uk

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 11:26:08 AM »
I recently sold a Liskeard Knobbly (for £30) and my understanding from research done online (and how I sold my piece) was that it dated from the 1960's.  What's interesting is that the chap that bought my knobbly is the same chap that bought the two in the link above - you might find it worthwhile contacting him since he lives in Liskeard and told me that he was just a few hundred yards from the glassworks.  Liskeard are indeed now called Merlin Glass, they're just up the road from the famous Merlin's Cave.

Offline davtol

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 01:05:17 PM »
Hi
I believe that Edward Pollard works at Isle of Wight Glass who used to work at Liskeard in the late 70's early 80's and also the owner of Liskeard glass in 1980 Timothy Bristow also worked at Isle of Wight glass for a short while in the mid eighties. Maybe they would be able to help with the history.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 03:29:20 PM »
Also, I've just remembered when I was researching mine I read that the name change from Liskeard Glass to Merlin Glass happened in 1980 so obviously the LG monogram predates that (I have a clear picture of the monogram if anyone needs it posting here).

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 10:28:36 PM »
Hi, This is a message I recently left on Whitefriars.com forum........ "Hi John, I have spoken to Ray Annenberg and he tells me that Jimmy Dyer ( Brother of Harry) left Whitefriars and went to work for Liskeard in the early 70,s............. He was Ray,s gaffer at the time and after he left Ray was promoted to Gaffer."
 Harry Dyer was the co designer of the Whitefriars range of Knobbly vases......
 Regards Patrick.

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Liskeard Glass - Background & History
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »
Just bought a Liskeard pwt date in the stamp as 1974.  Will post a photo when I get a chance to do one.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand