No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Well this one did well!  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Well this one did well!
« on: September 08, 2018, 06:35:52 PM »
Did everyone spot this one at auction? Never seen a Baccarat weight this size or this nice before.

Didn't have a spare £12,000 sadly.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/rogersjones/catalogue-id-rogers10187/lot-1e578682-db23-4833-90fa-a94a00a20c32

They first listed it in a group of 6 other weights just listed as "Group of paperweights" estimate £20 - £40. This included 1 Chinese weight of little value, but 2 Paul Ysart's (Monart period)at least 2 others that looked to be Baccarat and another weight that may have also been French photo was not too clear. They ignored my offer of £800 and obviously took another look at the lot ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Well this one did well!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 04:27:05 PM »
 If money was no object it would be mine!,what a lovely piece and thanks for posting it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline AdrianW

• Members
    • Art deco
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 10:20:38 PM »
LOL; I saw that one, and I placed a bid on it! Mine must have been a very early bid though, given the end price! Way out of my price bracket  :o

As for the group of paperweights, if I remember rightly I think the most interesting French weight in the lot (to me at least) was probably one I'd grade as "cullet"; i.e. it had been so badly mistreated that even an eBay description of poor wouldn't cover it ;) Or I may be thinking of another lot. I do remember noting the darkened domes of the Ysart weights though.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »
It amazes me that anyone, even if they had no knowledge of paperweights at all could look at that weights pure quality and workmanship and still decide to place it in a lot of other weights withan estimate of £20 - £40!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand