No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swedish 7 cm cube vase – large bulges on all 4 sides + texture. Rim and base  (Read 3725 times)

Offline Sheilaglass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 20c glass
    • UK
Hi
Please can anyone help me identify this Swedish glass vase?
I don’t recall seeing any glass in this light golden amber colour before. 
I bought it in Stockholm, in a charity shop, and saw one in clear glass in another place, so presume it is Swedish.
It measures 8.5 cm high - the 7cm cube is topped and tailed with a rim and base, both almost 1 cm - and 9.5 cm x 9.5 cm at widest (including bulges)
Around each of the bulges there are 8 tiny circles, surrounded by textured lines.
It cost very little – about £5 but it’s a lovely design. I’d just like to know more, so would be grateful for any help.
Best wishes
Sheila

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Seaglasbruk, designed by Rune Strand.
I believe it should have a wooden stand, but I have not yet seen one.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Sheilaglass

• Members
    • 20c glass
    • UK
Hi Della
Many thanks for that information. Can I please ask how you found out? I'm keen to collect as many sources of information as I can so that I don't have to ask so much!
Best wishes
Sheila

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Hi Sheila,
After years of collecting, I just knew, it is difficult to explain.
Books are a great resource once you have decided what type of glass you want to collect, be it by country, factory, designer, etc.
I found I was drawn to glass from Finland, mainly, but also Scandinavian glass, mostly from Sweden.
The forums here are a fabulous aid too, but not always easy to navigate if you don't know what you are searching for.
Never be afraid to post and ask. Even I am still learning  8)  If you get a suggestion, have a search through Google and you may see a piece identical to yours.
I spend hours searching sometimes and it can be so very frustrating, but also incredibly rewarding once your mystery is solved. I have pieces, signed too, that I still cannot identify, but I can't help but keep collecting. I could open a glass museum with the pieces I have here, pieces from all over the world. If I like a piece, I buy it (money allowing) and I'm supposed to be scaling down in order to move  :-X.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline SveziaJonas

• Members
  • From Murano to Sweden
    • Murano
    • Sweden
Rune Strand Sea glasbruk
In Swedish Glaslykta

Regards
Jonas

Offline Sheilaglass

• Members
    • 20c glass
    • UK
Hi Jonas

Many thanks for your helpful reply. Much appreciated. Glaslykta = 'glass lantern' according to Google translate, so presume that means it came on a stand.

Best wishes

Sheila

Offline Sheilaglass

• Members
    • 20c glass
    • UK
Hi Della

Many thanks for your reply and being so generous in offering your help. I'm finding the Glass Message Board a very useful tool. We do have quite a lot of books including the 'Scandinavian Glass Fire & sea' one, but most books cover such a large topic, there isn't room for everything, and for Google search you do have to have some idea what you're looking for and be lucky. I usually come up with answers for most things but as we collect mid-century pottery as well as glass, there will always be gaps. This was our first trip to Sweden and we saw a lot of things we'd never seen before. We would have loved to bring back even more things as the prices in the charity shops were very reasonable, but we were flying.

Best wishes
Sheila

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand