No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this an Mdina Tricorn vase?  (Read 6979 times)

Offline Owen_W

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Re: Is this an Mdina Tricorn vase?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 02:16:36 PM »
Lustrousstone,

Yes I see. Yours looks larger and flatter. Very similar in colour. Well I am glad I am not alone having one of these. I suppose vases are not one of those items you could stick in your luggage so they were not a great seller back in the day.

Yours is one of the few images I could ever find before I started asking on this website, where now John has shown me two more.

Thanks for the information.

Kind regards

Owen

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 02:48:03 PM »
There were later triangular very chunky tricorn perfume bottles, with an Earthtones core.
These large deep flat pieces, are too closed over to be a bowl, for me.
A bowl is wide open and welcoming - this hides things.
But I couldn't call it a vase either.
You did have mine for a bit John, I take it it was that one?
I have seen one that was almost a ball, quite narrow but tall.
Different sizes and variations are to be expected. Nothing was made in particular sizes to start off with. They were not even trying to replicate pieces - a selling point was that each is absolutely unique.
It couldn't be anything else when they were using silver salts to create the colours in each, I really suspect they just didn't bother about sizes being accurate.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 06:16:08 PM »
Nothing more to add other than there was some time ago a trial Tricorn bottle with a flanged top and broken pontil in browny colours which also included subtle pieces of amethyst, blues and yellows, also much smaller and reserved than those grand bottles shown. This is another shape on top of the 3 already suggested that are Tricorn in shape, Harris era and worth a mention. I sadly lack the knowledge to be able to link that thread to this one!

Fortunately, I now own this piece however  ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 07:00:51 PM »
There is an ashtray with 3 pulled out corners, cased in cobalt. That was Mark Hill's (A few years ago, he may have sold it since.) and I have one with 3 amethyst corners added.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Owen_W

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 08:28:44 PM »
Hello to all,

Thanks for putting me on to those pieces, I have now seen pictures of the earthtones perfume bottle. I have seen a picture of the ashtray as well - they look nice. I think I will keep an eye out for a tricorn bottle to go with the vase but it looks like the prices are out of my league, but you never know, I might get lucky again.

Thank you so much for everyone who has replied. Firstly I have never been on a forum before, you all seem very informed and polite people. I have looked round the forum and there is so much information to take in! I will keep my eye out for British art glass and lets see if I can find anything good.

Kind regards

Owen

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 10:58:24 AM »
I hope we've helped to get you hooked.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Owen_W

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 08:15:59 PM »
Yes, and you are all very naughty...

Fancy putting up pictures like that!

Offline Owen_W

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 09:56:46 PM »
Just out of interest there is an Mdina Tricorn plate/bowl on the bay at the moment that has gathered some attention. They are calling it a plate but I am wondering if this is one of the Mdina bowls. It does seem very expensive... You lot must have deep pockets ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
It's (sort of) a charger. My one isn't tricorn, it's round with a suggestion of a single rounded sort of corner. It's "wonky round" more than tricorn. ;D
But I think charger is the correct word for it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Owen_W

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up as well. It did look like a nice charger, it has sold now. Well if I find some more Mdina then I will be back if I can't find any good info on it. Back to collecting a couple of Swedish glass pieces this week which should add to my collection, so that's my budget gone for the month! Hope there is more cheaper stuff in the charity shops but very little Swedish glass (if any) in my local ones.

Thanks again.

Owen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand