No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Water Garden & Tropical Vision Paperweights  (Read 4017 times)

Offline chameleon_girl

• Members
Caithness Water Garden & Tropical Vision Paperweights
« on: October 22, 2006, 04:33:30 AM »
I have thus far been unsuccessful in finding information on a couple of Caithness paperweights I've acquired.  The first, (1998 Water Garden) I know a little bit about, simply because it was still with the box.  From the markings on the box, it appears the production was limited to 250.  However, I don't know if there's any way of learning who the actual maker/designer was for this spectacular piece.  I'd also be curious as to its value range, given the limited availability.

My second Caithness paperweight appears to be even more challenging to find, as the markings suggest the production was limited to only 100.  Again, I am in awe of the beauty and work, but have no idea as to designer or value.

A friend told me about this board, and I was so excited to see that there was not only a site devoted to glass, but also that it had a section totally on paperweights.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Potentspirit

• Members
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 08:32:58 AM »
I can help you with`Water Garden` -- designed by Colin Terris in 1998, limited edition of 750  but only 243 made. It is one of the Colin Terris Water Lily Collection, worth £125.

Does the other one have a name on the base? Or could you post a photo?
Margaret A Jones

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 09:26:39 AM »
Slowly building an online catalogue of Scottish glass, this search will return some of the item in an edition of 100 but probably not all. So you might have to shortlist by selecting categories from the menus.

If not there yet, check back in weeks or months. Eventually all models will be there.

Offline chameleon_girl

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »
Margaret, thanks for the info on Water Garden; looks like my guess on value was pretty close.  While I'm thinking about it, a third paperweight I have is also a Caithness -- Millenium Dancer.  However, I didn't find it on Frank's site.  Any info available on it?  :D

As for the other one I had previously mentioned (Tropical Vision), Frank, as soon as I learned about this board and saw there was a paperweight section, I anxiously looked around and found that site (when you were soliciting proofreaders).  Awesome!  But, alas, Tropical Vision was not there.  Here are a few photos.  I think it's a beauty.

Straight-on view:
http://home.swbell.net/wdotson/paperweights/tropical-vision01.jpg

Side view:
http://home.swbell.net/wdotson/paperweights/tropical-vision04.jpg

Back view:
http://home.swbell.net/wdotson/paperweights/tropical-vision06.jpg

Base:
http://home.swbell.net/wdotson/paperweights/tropical-vision08.jpg
<---- Mod: Links dead

Thanks again for your help!
Holly

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 03:12:41 PM »
Tropical Vision was a Helen MacDonald Limited Edition design from 1995.  Book price £250.  Nice one!   :D

Millennium Dancer was a Colin Terris Limited Edition of 650 from 1999 in the Millennium Collection.  Book price £60.  Probably worth more now, following the sad demise of Colin Terris    :(
Leni

Offline Potentspirit

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 03:25:42 PM »
Hi there,

Tropical Vision was designed by Helen MacDonald in 1995, in a limited edition of 100, and was fully subscribed - value is £250.

Court Jester was designed by Colin Terris in 2002, limited edition of 500, but closed at 327. Part of the Colin Terris Classic Collection - valued at £95.

Hope this helps  :)  :lol:  :wink:
Margaret A Jones

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 03:36:24 PM »
Millenium Dancer and Court Jester were actually quite similar in some ways, weren't they, Margaret?  But I think it was Millenium Dancer which was in question - or did I miss something?   :shock:  :?

Chameleon girl, it sounds to me as if you need the 'Caithness Paperweights' catalogue, 2nd edition by Colin Terris.  Published in 2004 by The Charlton Press, and well worth buying if you like Caithness paperweights!   :D
Leni

Offline Potentspirit

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 03:48:17 PM »
Just hd a senior moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
Margaret A Jones

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 02:34:01 AM »
Holly .... Your Caithness Tropical Vision weight is so beautiful!  Thank you for sharing.

All the best .... Lily :)

Offline Potentspirit

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 08:28:13 AM »
Sorry - I will get it right this time----

Millennium Dancer - designed by Colin Terris in 1999, limited edition of 650 - fully subscribed. Belongs to the Millennium Collection.

Present value £60.

Sorry for getting it wrong! :-[
Margaret A Jones

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand