No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strathearn colours  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Helen W.

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 20th C. Still refining!
    • UK
Re: Strathearn colours
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »
Thanks for the interesting link. I've learned to distrust my image search results, since there are so many erroneous attributions out there.

It's interesting to trace the links between firms and designers, as you've done in your comment. For example, I can see a certain continuity (I must not say 'copying'  ;) ) between my few pieces of Monart, Strathearn and Caithness, referring esp.to  the 'Tempest' range of the latter, and also the range where they used aventurine over blue or green.

You mention the opaque celadon green that was (over)used when pigmented enamels were in short supply in the 30s and 40s. The colour is ubiquitous in Nazeing of that period, so I've been trying to find some in the more unusual colours I know they used, because they were described in the company leaflets re-published in the Hajdamach book. It's obvious that several different manufacturers eked out their supplies at that time by adding cheaper white enamels, possibly titanium dioxide, a pigment I try to avoid using when painting, because it opacifies and makes colour look so chalky.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 03:02:26 PM »
A few 'Dark crystal' and 'Impressions' range.... ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »
Cylinders make very good pen containers. You can justify the space they occupy by giving them a function.
I avoid pink ones though, as you well know Keith. That was an un-pre-warned bit of pink you just exposed me to, there.  ;)

Image searches are fine when you know what you're looking for looks like in the first place, only. Sometimes, I don't manage joined-up thinking, Helen.  :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Helen W.

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • 20th C. Still refining!
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 04:13:09 PM »
Sue, no criticism intended!  :)

I don't 'do' pink either, but I'm turning green  ;) over your lovely display in the pic, Keith. Very informative too, so thanks for that. Incidentally, I picture you having to shuffle sideways between all the glass display stands in your house, and quite possibly standing up to eat meals.  ;D

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 04:43:11 PM »
Sorry ladies, there will be a 'pink warning'  :o next time  ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 04:52:54 PM »
I suspect we're generally wary and ready for the shock, given we might be exposed to it at any time by folk other than yourself, Keith. You're forgiven.  :)
I didn't think you were criticising Helen. You were perfectly right to point out that you can't trust what appears in a search to be correct. I'd forgotten. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand