No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selkirk Glass Closed  (Read 4331 times)

Offline ALLAN

• Members
Selkirk Glass Closed
« on: August 11, 2006, 03:26:18 PM »
I am sorry to report that the administrators have closed down Selkirk Glass completely today. :(

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline THX1138

• Members
silver lining
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 01:27:30 PM »
While there can be no joy derived from the closing of Selkirk, there could be a silver lining. In the long run, it might help Caithness (if it survives its receivership) as there will be a little less competition for quality paperweights. Also, it may up the price of Selkirk weights in the secondary marketplace, such as eBay.

But the message is clear - global competition from poor-quality, cheaply made and cheaply priced knock-off imports is continuing to damage the United Kingdom glass industry.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Selkirk Glass Closed
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 02:52:21 PM »
You can only blame Joe public who prefer to buy cheap and nasty. But lets face it, how many collectors are buying at retail? How many wait for the second market appearance?

A good parallel is toys shops, full of cheap and nasty break within a week garbage, or very high priced but still often cheap and nasty. There are very few strongly made toys anymore even Fisher-Price stuff is more lightly made than it was 20 years ago. It was common for toys to pass through several hands as each owner grew out of it. Now few toys survive long enough to pass on once. It is the high cost of labour that obliges the shift of manufacture abroad combined with discount stores and the like. But if we insist on locally made goods we risk being accused of protectionism.

Imagine you go into a store to by a gift for a distant relatives birthday, you end up with a choice between a 15 pound Caithness paperweight or a 5 pound Chinese one. Both are pretty and the Chinese one has more exciting and vibrant colours (you know nothing about glass) ... which one do you choose?

Offline THX1138

• Members
oops
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 02:56:35 PM »
It took me a few minutes before I realized the 15 pound paperweight meant COST not actual heft (weight). I was thinking I'd buy the Caithness anyway, but was wondering why you were comparing heaviness. D'oh.  :lol:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Selkirk Glass Closed
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 03:00:52 PM »
:lol:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Selkirk Glass Closed
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 03:01:26 PM »
Allan, who was working at Selkirk at the end?

Offline ALLAN

• Members
Selkirk Glass Closed
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 03:25:56 PM »
Don't honestly know Frank,but I will try to find out for you.Still signed off after my hernia op' at the moment.

Offline Leni

• Members
Selkirk Glass Closed
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 03:46:09 PM »
Frank, you're so right, particularly about Fisher Price, for example!  My grandchildren are now happily playing with the Fisher Price toys purchased for their father back in the early '70's - and that after his 3 younger brothers had played with them in turn (including a severely ADHD one, who managed to break most things!   :roll: )

And as far as paperweights go (to get back on topic   :wink: ) I think some of Caithness problems might have been down to trying to compete with the cheap Chinese abstracts, with their 'Pebble' range, for example.  The Chinese (or Taiwanese) 'Royal Crest' weights for example are colourful, fun and quite cleverly made.  And cheap.  Very cheap!   Caithness would do better to concentrate their production and marketing on high-class, top of the range products, and leave the cheap and cheerful to those who - like it or not - now do it best.  They need to recognise that theirs should be different market.
Leni

Offline chuggy

• Members
Selkirk Glass Closed
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 09:14:18 AM »
The main problem with that Leni is that you fall into a catch 22 situation where the production costs for the top end items is so high because of the level of craftsmanship involved that very often you are approaching the cost of a fine antique item, and from that perspective the choice should be a no brainer. Moorcroft have suffered from exactly this problem dumbing down their overall production whilst the higher end pieces cost more than a 100 year old piece by William Moorcroft which retains a secondary market value whilst the top end modern pieces struggle badly in the secondary market.
Totally wrong to blame it on cheap imports though it is down to combined factors of rising production costs for quality and the general fall in prices of the vintage items.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Selkirk Glass Closed
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 09:32:58 AM »
:D:D:D

I'm sure I've said this somewhere before. I've been talking to a chap who has a brother living in Beijing, married to a Chinese girl and has been staying over there for a while.

Apparently, what is most desirable in China is the most expensive and exclusive western stuff they can get.

Caithness would be doing very well to concentrate on top end, and export to China!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand