No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Contemporary Glass Spheres  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
Contemporary Glass Spheres
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:47:43 PM »
When I used to own a restaurant, I had guys that would be working for me, but they would actually be making glass pipes, beads, key chains and these glass spheres on the side to make extra money.  I bought this one for about $50.  Once a year I get together with a lot of past employees and they will show me more of their artwork.  They are getting better all the time and wanted to share with you what the trends are becoming (at least here in Amarillo) in the 18 to 22 year old group.  I would not classify them as paperweights because they are completely round, except for the tiniest indent on the base.  Just thought I'd like to share with you guys.  

Nancy

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2743
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2742

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 06:55:42 PM »
Hi Nancy,
I absolutely share your enthusiasm, from here in sunny London! Contemporary glass spheres are immensely appealing and often incredibly complex to create - many of the guys who create these masterpieces are arguably yet to be widely 'discovered'. I've been interested in this area for a few years now and have a small collection, built up on my trips to the US. Whilst names such as Mark Matthews and Paul Stankard attract very high prices, the work of Jesse Taj, Dustin Morell, Cathy Richardson and others is largely affordable to most - and there's a whole new world of people out there waiting to be discovered. There's a book on the area by Mark Block, published by Schiffer Books, that gives more information for anyone interested. As well as glass pipes, quite a few artists came to the area though marble collecting. Mark is one of the leading experts in this area and also a good friend of mine. He has also contributed to the books I co-produce - the annual DK Collectables Price Guides by Judith Miller. I've included a section on contemporary glass spheres for the past three years' worth of editions, mainly in the hope that people on both sides of the pond may pay them more attention. The problem for me is getting hold of them here in the UK - we just don't see them -- yet!
Mark
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 08:16:22 PM »
Perhaps Adam will get inspired while in the US and create the Zest! Spheres 8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 10:36:32 PM »
Mark, I'm going to have to check out some of those books.  If my young friends come over again, I'll try and get a good deal on some and send them over to you.  
Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand