No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: St Louis? Baccarat? Big cat trinket lid  (Read 3067 times)

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
St Louis? Baccarat? Big cat trinket lid
« on: October 15, 2018, 06:59:53 PM »
Couldn’t resist putting a bid on this little beauty thinking it was a Manchester paperweight as it was listed as Derbyshire style etc etc.
Neil’s Manchester team put me straight and said no it’s probably a French St Louis Lynx Trinket lid. As it has a lip under the base.I cannot find any comparison but Baccarat figurines are similar. I don’t disagree with Neil’s team but this furry friend fluffy cheeks and a long tail like a snow leopard. It’s frosted body on a clear base. Any comments or pictures of the complete trinket box would be very welcome cheers Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: St Louis? Baccarat? Big cat trinket lid
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 08:06:48 PM »
It's Baccarat or Reich, both 1880, described as a lioness, lovely piece even incomplete as you say. I don't know at this time how to say which house it is, as it's incomplete and the Baccarat pressed mark could have been underneath the box. 

https://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2016-2w-duboucarre-dose-loewe-bacc-1880.pd

https://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2005-1w-fehr-baccarat-1880-reich.pdf

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 08:27:33 PM »
Anne tique, that’s fantastic thanks again. I shall give this to my father to join his Derbyshire big cats. The article is great ( well the pictures are) can’t read Word. Funnily enough I just found the monkey version on the Pres Glass Pavilion website.
This arrived in the post only wrapped in newspaper and a plastic bag. If it had been dropped it would have broken.
Thanks Mike

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:38:44 PM »
Amazing it didn't get damaged and even more amazing how stupid some people can be! Glad it arrived ok, it's a very nice gift for your father.

I've seen the images in the links several times and always liked this piece. I guess it can still be used as a paper weight or just decorative item. Well done you!

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:48:35 PM »
Funny thing is, when this come on eBay the auction start price was £9.95, I really liked it and offered £35 my offer was refused and the seller wanted £55 which I refused. All week I was wishing I bought it and half way through the week went to make the offer of £55 but the "offer" option had been taken away as there were 10 watchers.
Nobody else placed a bid so I won it for £9.95... result. So a very happy bunny. And the moral of this story is a "Bird in the hand is better than two in the bush"..    ;D

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 09:05:11 PM »
No, I think a correction's needed here Mike … the moral of this story is you're cheap!  ;D

Sorry, couldn't help myself, the words just flap out at times  :-* just pulling your leg and I'm  kidding of course, i'm glad you got an excellent bargain and the perfect gift for your dad... Love stories like that.

Offline Penelope12

• Members
  • Glass hoarder!
    • Uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 06:54:48 AM »
Great find, should look well with those big cats.  ;D

Penny
"One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart".
~ Linda Poindexter.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 11:15:11 AM »
 I have and will continue to be called many names, but very rarely called cheap ;)
Can you spot the odd one out in this small pride below?

Offline Penelope12

• Members
  • Glass hoarder!
    • Uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 12:04:25 PM »
I have a bit of a thing about those lions, I have the same collection of small ones plus a black one. The large one is by John Derbyshire as far as I can tell from the photo, but the smaller ones are not of the same quality and so I believe from a different manufacturer, possibly Henry Greener? ???

Penny
"One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart".
~ Linda Poindexter.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »
Yes, I think the amber one is a greener/jobling replica.Most of the small lions you see on eBay look the same as the amber one. The larger ones are marked Derbyshire and the small unmarked Flint one has the same pattern around the base as the two large green ones. This maybe Derbyshire or possibly Davidson. You don’t see so many of this small clear Flint ones with that base pattern. Roar!!!

Any other opinions welcome cheers. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand