No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help identifying glass Swan - Early American Blown to Pattern glass?  (Read 853 times)

Offline JayC

• Members
Hello!

I am new to this forum...and also to most subjects dealing with "glass".  This just happened to be such an original piece I had to have it and after looking all over for something similar I decided to ask the experts.  To start with there is nearly nothing straight on this Swan...even to base is skewed.  On the other hand, the swan is so smooth and lovely...while the base is anything but; it's rough and has a very thin raised edge (about 2mm) that is extremely granular...sandy.  There is no pontil  and though the base is quite rubbed it's hard to photograph because the entire base looks like a flat, pebbly, bottle with lines in it (those aren't cracks they're lines).  The wings of the Swan have these wonderful, non-symetrical, ribs that are both inside and outside, that go down almost to the foot on one side and nearly to the foot on the other.  On the inside of the Swan the base is domed, again unevenly, (looks almost like a tongue.  At one side the Swan's base is nearly an 1" thick and on the other it's a little over 1/2" thick.  The color is blue-green and the size is about 8" long x 6" high and 3 1/2" deep

Im sure someone here has seen something similar and will be able to give me an idea of when, where and how it was made.  Thank you!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
My specs are getting foggy! Sorry, I can't help but your description is wonderful!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline JayC

• Members
Yes, gave me that feeling too when I looked through the bottom.  I'm going to try and leave a couple of larger pictures.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline JayC

• Members
Tried to do this yesterday to no avail.  I hope these larger photos will clear...read that they can be 600x400 pixels (these are about that)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand