No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Japanese layered cameo inside and outside -glass sake cup - Kitaichi Glass Otaru  (Read 5609 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've not much information to give on this little piece, but it's very pretty. The cameo is on the inside and the outside - it's done in  5 colours, amber, clear, red, blue and yellow.   I don't know how it was made but I think it's sandblasted presumably with some sort of stencil type thing.  It looks as thought the layers were thinly done in varying colours.  The blue flowers are cut on the interior.  The amber and red on the exterior.  The background is frosted clear with a yellow rim.  It's very effective and looks beautiful when properly lit to show the layers and colours.
I think it was done perhaps in the mid 2000's
There seem to be a few glass makers in the Otaru area and Kitaichi I think is one of them but I'm open to correction as my Japanese is non-existent and that's all I've been able to find out.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
wow.
flipping wow.

It's perfection, isn't it?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
Not seen Japanese cameo before,I have tried emailing various museums and universities in regards to my other collecting habits ( of Japanese origin) but without success,maybe you might have more luck,very nice piece, ;D ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
It's beautiful M  ;D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I second flippen wow..

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks :) it's everything I love about oriental art, each part beautifully done and thought out, the intricacy of the detail and in such a small little piece.  Reminds me of oriental embroidery really.
I've done some tentative searches and I think found something similar so they maybe still make these pieces or similar using this  sand blasting technique.

This site shows some more recent products where they've used a vine/ivy decoration on sake cups and bowls. 
http://www.japanartsandcrafts.com/otaruglass.html
 They've used some form of stencil or mask as the designs repeat sort of with the interior blue picking up the same shapes as both the amber and red flowers.  It seems to have been made in at least 4 colour layers if not 5 maybe, with blue then clear then yellow , amber, red. 
Something I've read (might have been something I read from Kelsey Murphy's work) seems to say if I've understood it correctly, that maybe blanks can be made by rolling the original gather in powders rather than casing, then reheating and rerolling in different  colours to create the layers.  Does that seem feasible?
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
More than feasible - I saw it being done at the first Isle of Wight Studio Glass open day.
I watched Tim making an Undercliff vase and this is exactly how the white background colour was achieved. I know the same technique was used in several other designs, using at least two colours, but I don't have any bits.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Sue :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum