No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rd No 858446 - I.D Request  (Read 1446 times)

Offline billben

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
Rd No 858446 - I.D Request
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:31:19 PM »
Hi Folks
I wonder did anyone ever get around to producing a further list of registered numbers beyond the 'blue book' by The Glass Assocaition ?
That list ends in 1945 and sods law i have an item which is probably 1946/7.
As you can see its an amber ashtray with a thistle emblem.  Must say the configuration of the glass for supporting a cigarette is very unusual, Ive never seen it done like that before.
The Rd No is 858446

Thanks in anticipation

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: MYSTERY REG NO.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:23:32 AM »
The design dates from 1949 but the National Archives online catalogue does not give details for designs from that date.  You could request a look up by our member Paul when he next visits the NA. https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52152.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline billben

• Members
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
Rd No 858446 - I.D Request
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 03:27:04 PM »
Im keeping this simple as requested  - Doesnt show well on the photo but the thistle is frosted & intaglio.
Please feel free to use photos for database etc

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Rd No 858446 - I.D Request
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 09:09:34 PM »
Hi billben,  I've merged your new post about this item into the earlier one to keep it tidy rather than have two posts about the same item from the same person. 

I've also added your RD no to the lookup request topic for you here https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52152.msg377702.html#msg377702. Once Paul has been able to check it for you he will update this topic directly. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline billben

• Members
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:14:34 PM »
Many thanks indeed.. Ill be fascinated to see who made it . :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 11:29:48 PM »
there appear to be some inconsistencies or possible absences of Reg. details for the 1940s - will advise success or otherwise in the next couple of weeks.

Offline billben

• Members
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 11:32:14 PM »
Well there is nothing more reliable than Sods Law ....lol .. but thanks for your efforts

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 03:17:57 PM »
Pix now attached  -  Kew references are …………    Representations BT 52/2433 and for the Register it's BT 53/85.

Messrs. Henry Dresel Ltd. have appeared on the Board previously - some years back, but if you search under both their name and that of their agent Messrs. Cleveland, some earlier entries will be found.

Dressel must have had a thing about thistles  -  his name has been linked to at least one other Registration carrying this design, though as we know from previous information Dresel was an importer and not a manufacturer.                The name suggests possibly some eastern European connection though that's a pesonal opinion only, but those items with which he was involved may well have originated from that part of the Continent  -  I seem to recall that earliler in the C20 he was involved in the importation of trinket set items. 
Dresel, or perhaps more likely his agent Cleveland, seem to have a thing about CLASS IV, under which some of his earlier designs are entered - though an ashtray seems hardly worth protecting from commercial plagiarism - though I suppose we shouldn't dismiss entirely the possibility that this Reg. may at some time have been considered being made in ceramic.           
This Reg. was extended just once it appears, so a total protection period of ten years.

My thanks as always to the Directors and Trustees of TNA for their help with this information.
Sorry the pix are less than good  -  I never did learn how to re-size, Watermark, re-size again and end up with a sharp imagem, though for those like myself who are less than technologically minded I've just realized that using the mouse wheel it's possible to blow the image up.

Offline billben

• Members
    • Victorian/Edwardian
    • England
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 03:34:29 PM »
Paul
Thank you so much for all your efforts and for the excellent pictures and information.
A new name to me I must say and I would agree that there may well be a continental link.

Job well done , thank you again

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand