Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Malta Glass

I think Mdina but no marks - can anyone help

(1/1)

seanduxbury:
Hi.  Picked this piece up recently in the North West of England with the instant thought it was a Mdina perfume bottle.  However unless you wanted to drown yourself in perfume (the opening at the top is 2 cm in diameter) I can't believe that it is one.  Also as the 'stopper' has a sheer polished base it just sits on top of the bottle and wouldn't stop any liquid spilling out.  The colours seem right but can anyone explain what it is.  A posy vase with a top?  It measures 8 cm tall x about 7 cm square (without stopper) and weighs just over 725 gms.  Sheer polished base for the body.  The top measures about 4.5 cm tall and 5 cm in diameter and weighs 215 gms.  Can anyone help with telling me what it is (bottle, vase?) and maybe have an idea to date.  Thanks

chopin-liszt:
Definitely Mdina.  :)
And a sort of perfume bottle, or just a small bottle.
Studio glass does not need to have any function or have to be anything. ;D

Stoppers for bottles were sold seperately in the shop earlier on, none fit properly, but yours looks almost like a small paperweight, balanced on top to look like a stopper. Smart use of a pwt!
Normally, stoppers would have a sort of post of glass on the bottom of them. But they do get broken. I've got a few that still sit on the bottle, finishing it off nicely and the lack of a post/stick-bit under it makes no difference.
I'd put this in the mid-'70s-ish to the mid-'80s-ish.

glassobsessed:
Agreed, stopper is a paperweight.

John

seanduxbury:
Two items for the price of one.  Never thought of that! :)

chopin-liszt:
It works.  ;D
The pwt is small enough, the colours match.  :)
I might put a small ring of blu-tack inbetween the pwt and the flange of the bottle, to help prevent it falling off and damanging something, if it was mine.

I swap stoppers around to find the best fits and matches for display.
If I'd had this bottle and that pwt, I'd have put them together too. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version