No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fritz Heckert? Wonderful Enameled Art Glass Landscape Scenic Vase  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Fritz Heckert? Wonderful Enameled Art Glass Landscape Scenic Vase
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 05:02:49 PM »
the items I had both had numbers painted on base too.

That's unusual, 9 out of 10 are not numbered.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 05:12:16 PM »
Anne thank you for the additional information :)
Do we know which other makers made this shape please?

The decor may not be a way to decide who made the vase.  Could it be possible that different enamellers painted in different ways on say for example, Legras glass vases?  Could it perhaps be possible  that techniques may change depending on decorator/period maybe?
I understand what you mean about the gilding on the rim.  Would that be a definitive no to it being from Legras then?

Legras made a lot of glass.  Maybe it wasn't decorated in France? 
Likewise in Bohemian glass, there are many examples of Harrach making the glass but the decoration being done elsewhere. 
Also examples of other Bohemian makers making the glass but the decoration having been carried out by another finishing house (i.e. not by the glassmaker - Loetz is one example)
I wonder how the base is finished?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 06:29:35 PM »
oh and. ... along with my questions above, can I also add another  :-[
on the link the OP provided to this vase it doesn't seem to say it is marked. Or have I missed something?  If it is not marked I wonder how they know it is a Fritz Heckert Max Rade vase?

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,67549.msg376333.html#msg376333

Did I miss something in the translation maybe?

m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 09:47:17 PM »
Anne thank you for the additional information :)
Do we know which other makers made this shape please?

The decor may not be a way to decide who made the vase.  Could it be possible that different enamellers painted in different ways on say for example, Legras glass vases?  Could it perhaps be possible  that techniques may change depending on decorator/period maybe?
I understand what you mean about the gilding on the rim.  Would that be a definitive no to it being from Legras then?

Legras made a lot of glass.  Maybe it wasn't decorated in France? 
Likewise in Bohemian glass, there are many examples of Harrach making the glass but the decoration being done elsewhere. 
Also examples of other Bohemian makers making the glass but the decoration having been carried out by another finishing house (i.e. not by the glassmaker - Loetz is one example)
I wonder how the base is finished?

Sorry to quote such a large post but several things are mentioned.

Personally, and this is just me, i think that a decor  often is a signature in itself. If the shape's familiar but the quality or usual style is not there, then it might make one wonder what's going on. Of course shapes and styles do look familiar and we can all recognise a shape or  tell if a piece, shapewise,  has been meddled with somehow, but on the other hand, we've never seen everything that's out there...i guess it's a topic that can be discussed endlessly.  I can't tell you of this shape is used elsewhere, it probably is as it isn't a very complicated one but i couldn't give any examples right now.   

Re the french outsourcing something … I wonder if anything would have been considered good enough, and I don't mean this in a nasty way, but the french are just … well, very french, lets keep it at that. I would need to do some reading to see if anything's mentioned, but there were so many decorators in France that  bought blancs at their usual adresses, Legras being a supplier too, and I wonder if there would have been a need to go abroad, but you would expect to find at least a signature if it was from an individual decorator.

Going through some books I find that the enamel on this vase is so thin, it almost looks painted and looks similar to some of the decors found in Germany, done by different houses, but i'm going into, still, unfamiliar territory now ...

Offline laurapmccracken

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »
I will get some photos of the pontil when I pick up the piece tomorrow.  As I recall it was a polished pontil.  I do not believe the decor on the vase to be French.  Thanks to everyone taking the time to respond.  I appreciate it!

Offline laurapmccracken

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »
Photo of pontil

Offline laurapmccracken

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 05:11:06 PM »
Just wanted to update that the vase has been attributed to designer Adolf Heymen - Passau considers the work to be rare.  Below is a vase with similar decor from Passau. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 12:01:09 AM »
Thank you for coming back and letting us know this has been attributed to Adolf Heyden.  I believe that is the enamelling decoration has been attributed to Adolf Heyden?  Did the Passau Museum clarify this any further re who made the glass of your vase?

The photograph of the book is difficult to see as it pixelates when enlarged but the enamelling picture certainly looks very similar.

I'm curious to know who might have made the glass because the book photo you have added dates the piece to c. 1880.
As far as I knew Heckert didn't start with their furnace until 1889:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,50483.msg288408.html#msg288408
See also info from Wikipedia (not a primary source of info admittedly - my bold underlining)
'Life
Fritz Heckert was born in 1837 as the eighth son of the master glazier Johann Andreas Heckert (1789-1852) in Halle an der Saale. Of the nine siblings, seven worked in the glass industry. After the death of his father he went to Berlin to his brother Carl Ferdinand at the age of 15. There he learned the trade of a merchant and designated himself from 1863 as a manufacturer. In 1862 he acquired a glass grinding mill, the so-called Felsenmühle am Zacken near Petersdorf on the edge of the Giant Mountains ; In 1866 he founded his glass refinery in Petersdorf, which he could expand to a major glass refining company with at times 200 employees, which also had a glassworks from 1889 onwards. Fritz Heckert died in 1887'

If that is the case then I wonder where the glass came from if it was enamelled by Adolf Heyden c 1880?
The vase in the photo you have added also reminds me of a French glass shape oddly but I wonder if it might have come from Josephinenhutte  to then be enamelled and finished at Heckert i.e. before they got their furnace?

m

Offline laura9797

• Members
    • glass
    • USA
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »
Happy New Year Flyingfree…...I was the one who thought possibly Fritz Heckert/Max Rade but a fellow glassy contacted me and sent me the page from the Passau catalog which indicated the décor by the designer.  Still don't know who made the vase but it certainly could be a French blank. 

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »
Legras did do blancs but I wonder if this would not have been too expensive at the time, considering they had so many manufacturers closer to home.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand