No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: WMF IKORA glass lamps  (Read 5664 times)

Offline wivrrat

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • vintage glass
    • United States
WMF IKORA glass lamps
« on: December 04, 2018, 11:39:06 PM »
New to forum.  I posted once but it didn't take.  I have a pair of table lamps I would like further info on.  I have had them a year and have displayed them for sale at a vintage flea market in Palm Springs, Ca. on two occasions.  I had them priced at $300.00 for the pair.  Last season a couple antique dealers thought they were Murano and that I should raise the price.  So I changed the price to $700.00.  This past Sunday I sold again and a gentleman informed me they were not Murano but they were WMF Ikora.  When I got home I did some research and sure enough, they look like WMF.  I found one vase that is very similar.  I will post that picture along with pictures of the lamps.  In my research, I found many lamps but none with wood tops & bottoms.  The wood looks like rose wood.  The lamps are in excellent condition other than some ware on the top of the wood.  Would appreciate any feedback as to date.  I'm guessing 1930's or earlier per info I've read?  Also would like a value.  Thanking you in advance. 

Offline wivrrat

• Members
    • vintage glass
    • United States
Re: WMF IKORA glass lamps
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:42:17 PM »
Pictures of my lamps are not the best.  I took them with the sun shining on them.  I'll take a better one if needed.  Picture of vase was on a web site I visited.  Look very similar to me.  thanks

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:02:00 PM »
Mod: Please note: The image of the vase copied from a website has been removed in line with Board Policy on use of copyrighted images.

Please provide a link to the website instead.
KevinH

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 12:49:33 AM »
They're Ikora vases (model no. E.139) converted into lamps at a later date. They're hard to pin down in date exactly - the shape was introduced in 1928 and was still in production in 1951.

Offline wivrrat

• Members
    • vintage glass
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 12:54:52 PM »
I thought of that, but who would have made them into lamps and how would they have cut the bottom out?  The entire bottom is cut out, not just a drill hole for the wire? 

Offline wivrrat

• Members
    • vintage glass
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 12:58:23 PM »
Thanks for your info.  I thought of that.  Where they made in the Ikora factory?  The entire bottom is cut out.  Not just a drill hole for the wire.  That kind of made me think they were factory made????   thx, Bill

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 01:11:39 PM »
The conversion would probably have been carried out by an individual, there are professional glass restorers who could do this sort of work, cutting the bottom off, or perhaps an amatuer with the right sort of equipment could have done it.
I agree completely with Pinkspoons, these are vases which have been converted.

I'm afraid we don't tend to discuss "values" here, they're far too subjective.

"Ikora" is the name of the range of glass made by the WMF factory. It's a wide range, with lots of different colourways.
But I doubt very much the conversion in to lamps was done there. They made lamps to be lamps.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline wivrrat

• Members
    • vintage glass
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »
That makes sense.  When I first started looking at WMF lamps, all had metal base's and top's.  Didn't see one with a wood base.  That made me think they might be converted.  Thanks for the confirmation and info.  Much appreciated.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 03:51:23 PM »
As far as I can see from the old WMF catalogues, Ikora lamps have always been designed with chromed caps (and no additional bases), and there doesn't seem to be any cross-over between lamps and vases (some factories would use the same moulds for both).

Offline wivrrat

• Members
    • vintage glass
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 01:57:27 AM »
Have you ever seen another pair of vase's made into lamps and does the collectibility decrease or increase with the modification.  Their really handsome lamps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand