No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help identifying vase: possible Venini?  (Read 1904 times)

Offline bobjames278

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Murano
    • Montreal
Re: Need help identifying vase: possible Venini?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 08:40:06 PM »
Thanks for your guys' help; and due to your help, I went after the auction house and am having my 250$ refunded.

Cheers, much appreciated!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 09:29:48 PM »
Pinkspoons, thanks for your help. I'm curious about your experience and expertise?

I've been a vintage retailer for well over a decade - mostly Scandinavian and Italian glass and lighting.

I'd also support what Sue says - try to handle as much glass as possible and you'll build a 'feel' for what is/isn't right (although even after years at it, it's still very possible to make some forehead-slapping mistakes). As Sue also says, regular trips to homeware shops (TK Maxx, Ikea, etc...) are helpful, too - Chinese-made glass from ten years or so ago used to be obviously Chinese (garish colours, wonky or ugly shapes, poorly-made, poorly-finished, low quality glass), but many of their glassworks have really upped their game and can be near-indistinguishable in terms of technique and finish from half-decent Murano or Scandinavian glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Penelope12

• Members
  • Glass hoarder!
    • Uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 08:15:45 AM »
Excellent advice Sue, I once purchased a shattered Lalique bowl (signed by the master) which had been expertly glued back together. An undamaged one would have set me back well over a thousand pounds, but I was able to get a feel for this stunning glass for just a few pounds. Once you have had your hands on an original piece, it is much easier to spot the fakes, but that label would probably have fooled me too.  I will certainly be extra vigilant in the future.

Interestingly enough, I have just received an email from an outfit in China offering to ‘reproduce’ some of the items in my shop...Grrrrr >:( >:( >:(
"One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart".
~ Linda Poindexter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »
Well done.  ;D
It really is worth getting hold of certain really good, but damaged pieces. They're the only way some of us can afford the best. Lots of them can still display very well, but the best bit is being able to study and feel them properly. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand