No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Poinsettia Paperweight made late 1800s from New England's Sandwich Studio  (Read 4973 times)

Offline carlovision

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
Would this be an accurate description and what might its value be? $400?:

This is a red poinsettia flower exhibiting 12 petals surrounding a millefiori center cane on a short green stem with two leaves, dew-like controlled bubbles, all over a blue and white jasper ground with a slightly concave polished base.

Boston & Sandwich Glass Co., probably by Nicholas Lutz. 1870-1887. 2 3/4" DOA.

Decent condition overall with some scattered surface wear/scratching mostly on the top of the paperweight.

Literature: Parallels Hawley - The Art of the Paperweight: Boston & Sandwich and New England Glass Companies, p. 79, fig. 5.11.

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/605380769/paperweight-made-in-1800s-from-new
Mod: 3rd party image replaced with a link to the web page, in acordance with Board rules on use of copyrighted material.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
While this is probably by B&S, it is not a great example and it probably is not made by Lutz.  The flower is off center, which is more typical of NEGC, but the leaves are B&S.  To call it by Lutz I would insist on a Lutz rose in the center.  Also, most Lutz weights have extra leaves or sepals around the flower.  As for value, restoration is about $150 which should be subtracted from the price. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline LesBeatiques

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • U.S.
    • The Paperweight Collection
I would agree with B&S.
The "dew like control bubbles" are are unintentional, this is a misconception propagated by early literature and auction descriptions.   

Offline carlovision

• Members
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
paperweights, thank you for your input - so after the 150 restoration fee, what would the value be approximately of the weight? " As for value, restoration is about $150 which should be subtracted from the price. "

Anyone else please advise on a value range too please.

-Thx.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Prices on antique weights have been coming down for the last ten years - so don't expect a windfall.  After restoration, it would bring $400 to $600.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information

Offline carlovision

• Members
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
Thanks Allan!  :o

Offline carlovision

• Members
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
 ??? I did find this from a 2013 sale. Does it offer a reevaluation Allan (et al) of your estimate?

Mod: Image removed in accordance with Board rules on use opf copyrighted material.

Carlovision, please provide a direct link to the image(s) that youi posted.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
No.  I'll stick to my original estimate.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
One other thought - your title is a little bit of a hedge.  Either the paperweight was made at Boston & Sandwich Glass Co. in Sandwich, MA. or, alternatively, it is from the New England Glass Company in Cambridge, MA.  To say "New England's Sandwich Studio" is a little off because neither company should be referred to as a "Studio" and they are separate companies - someone reading it might think you were saying there was a Sandwich Studio and another Studio somewhere else both belonging to the same New England company.  I realize you wanted to say from the geographic region referred to as New England.... just suggesting a title change should be "Poinsettia Paperweight made in the late 1800s from Boston & Sandwich Glass Co".

Offline carlovision

• Members
    • Paperweights Bowls
    • United States
Re: Poinsettia Paperweight made late 1800s from New England's Sandwich Studio
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 04:07:51 AM »
Done Allan. Its on Etsy now with your suggestion.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand